Images of P84

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28 5:28 AM
      Willy Clarysse informed me that images of P84 (Khirbet Mird, Mk + Jo)
      are available online:
      http://ldab.arts.kuleuven.ac.be/detail.php?theID=LDAB+2927
      (the links to the images are at the bottom)

      An article has been published in
      Le Museon 116 (2003) 15-35
      It appears to be online at
      http://poj.peeters-leuven.be/issue.php?journal_code=MUS&issue=1&vol=116
      (Unfortunately my institution has no access. Please test the pdf option.
      If it works, please send me the article!)

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
    • P.M. Head
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28 9:17 AM
        There are a range of witnesses to the text of the Greek New Testament which
        are not manuscripts. But I realised after a lecture I gave this morning
        that I don't really know that much about them. So I wondered if anyone was
        studying/collecting these things any more.

        Here is what I 'know' (from my handout, with some extra help after
        promptings from Dirk). Maybe others can help me get more info in this area
        for next time (otherwise I'll have to do the work myself!).

        a) Inscriptions

        b) Ostraca (O1-25 E. von Dobschütz, ZNW 32(1933) [see now 0153 = O1-20
        single VII pot])
        i. Cited in Aland, Synopsis, Luke 22.52, 61, 64, 68
        ii. Cited in some other editions at Mark 5.40; 9.18, 22; Luke
        22.42, 44, 45, 50, 52, 57, 61, 64, 68; John 5.18; 18.20

        c) Amulets/talismans (T1-9 E. von Dobschütz, ZNW 32(1933) [see now 0152 =
        T1])
        i. T1 = Matt 6.13
        ii. T2 = Matt 4.24
        iii. T3 = Matt 6.10, 12
        iv. T4 = Mark 1.1
        v. T6 = Matt 6.12, 13
        vi. T9 (P. Oxy 1151) = John 1.3
        vii. T10 = Mark 1.1
        d) Quotations in Christian documents/papyri

        e) Quotations in allusions in Non-canonical / Apocryphal compositions
        i. NA27: P. Egerton 2 cited at John 5.39
        ii. Aland, Synopsis, Dial. Tim & Aquila at Matt 1.16

        f) Marginal notes in other mss (e.g. LXX)

        More Info: S. R. Pickering, ‘The Significance of Non-Continuous New
        Testament Textual Materials in Papyri’, in Studies in the Early Text of the
        Gospels and Acts (ed. D. G. K. Taylor; Texts & Studies III.1; Birmingham:
        UBP, 1999), 121-141.

        Cheers

        Pete
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31 8:27 AM
          There exists also a list by Aland:

          "Repertorium der griechischen christlichen Papyri"
          Vol. 1: Biblische Papyri : Altes Testament, Neues Testament, Varia,
          Apokryphen / im Namen der Patristischen Arbeitsstelle Münster hrsg. von
          Kurt Aland
          Berlin: de Gruyter, 1976
          473 p.
          ISBN: 3-11-004674-1

          It lists under "Varia" 35 objects, amulets etc.

          I don't know if there exists an up-to-date masterlist of non-continuous
          biblical texts, but the above seems to be a start.
          Perhaps someone could impose this on a bored librarian?
          It will take probably quite some time to come up with an approximately
          complete list. Alas, the importance for the biblical text will probably
          be only marginal, with a few exceptions.

          A recent example comes to mind:
          The reading EUSEBHS in Lk 2:25 got new support recently (Nov. 2003) by
          the discovery of a 4th CE inscription on the so called Absalom's tomb in
          Jerusalem's Kidron valley. This inscription has been found by Joe Zias
          and Emile Puech.

          mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
        • Peter Head
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31 9:00 AM
            Wieland wrote:

            >The reading EUSEBHS in Lk 2:25 got new support recently (Nov. 2003) by
            >the discovery of a 4th CE inscription on the so called Absalom's tomb in
            >Jerusalem's Kidron valley. This inscription has been found by Joe Zias
            >and Emile Puech.

            Yes it gets some kind of support and I would take it as a witness (of
            sorts) to a text of Luke 2.25 which read EUSEBHS; but there are a few
            problems: it is not a direct quote, has other paraphrastic tendencies and
            doesn't actually use the simple word EUSEBHS!

            Interesting for a text in Jerusalem it describes Simeon as waiting for the
            PARAKLHSIN LAOU (rather than TOU ISRAEL). I would take this (like most of
            the similar material) as pimarily interesting for reception history.
            NB. I haven't seen the Greek text of this inscription published, but a
            drawing was in the news some while ago (e.g. http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3541452)

            Cheers

            Pete

            >Best wishes
            > Wieland
            > <><
            >Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
            >mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
            >http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
            >Textcritical commentary:
            >http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/index.html
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Peter M. Head, PhD
            Tyndale House
            36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
            566607
            Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 31 11:49 PM
              > Yes it gets some kind of support and I would take it as
              > a witness (of sorts) to a text of Luke 2.25 which read
              > EUSEBHS; but there are a few problems: it is not a
              > direct quote, has other paraphrastic tendencies and
              > doesn't actually use the simple word EUSEBHS!

              Right. It reads the superlative EUSHBHSTATOS.
              Here are two images from Zias:
              http://www.joezias.com/JoeZiasWebsite1_files/image001.jpg

              http://www.joezias.com/JoeZiasWebsite1_files/image007.jpg
              (I hope he didn't daub the real tomb but only the image)

              > NB. I haven't seen the Greek text of this inscription
              > published,

              I don't know of a publication either. I am interested in his dating. I
              once had a little webpage on it, but Zias reacted rather unpleased. Here
              is the text:

              1 o qafos sumewn os hn
              2 dikaiotatos anqrwp[os
              3 kai ghr[w]n eushbhstatos
              4 kai paraklhsin [tou
              5 laou
              6 prosdec[omenos

              The inscription is EXTREMELY difficult to make out. It is basically
              impossible from photos.

              Regarding a possible "Non-continuous biblical text list", it is
              important to be clear what to include. I think everything should be
              included that has a possible relevance for the textual history of the
              biblical text. Anyone?
              :-)

              mailto:willker@...-bremen.de