Re: Textual Criticism Resources for the Englishman

  • James Snapp, Jr.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2009
      Greetings J. M. Rieser:

      I have good news for you. Some very good text-critical resources are
      available online, for free. If you join the TC-Alternate Yahoo!
      Discussion-Board (a sort of "Speaker's Corner" focusing on NTTC), in
      the Files (accessible in the left sidebar there) you will find some
      very useful materials, including a slightly condensed English edition
      of Eberhard Nestle's Introduction to NTTC.

      You will need to learn Greek. Visit the TextKit site and download
      Samuel Green's Intro; it's a nice little primer and if your printer
      is able to print multiple pages per sheet, with a bit of effort you
      can make yourself a nice little pocket-sized binder-clipped book of
      lessons.

      At www.curtisvillechristian.org/BasicTC.html I provide links to a
      variety of NTTC resources, including some I have written. Be sure to
      visit Bob Waltz's Site Inspired by the Encyclopedia of New Testament
      Textual Criticism, and the Sola Scriptura website, and the online
      presentation of F.G. Kenyon's book "Our Bible and the Ancient
      Manuscripts."

      At www.archive.org you will want to download, print out, and
      carefully read Kirsopp Lake's clear and concise little book, "Text of
      the New Testament." You may also want to download "The Englishman's
      Greek New Testament" there; it is an interlinear presentation of the
      Textus Receptus with the KJV in the outer side-margin and with an
      apparatus consisting of variants noted in some editions of the GNT at
      the bottom of the page. After you see it you may agree that a real
      hardback copy of The Englishman's Greek NT would be a sound
      investment.

      About the papyri: inasmuch as you have adequate transcriptions of
      the papyri, and haven't learned Greek, most online materials about
      the papyri will just be so much eye candy. Still, a person can
      accumulate good pictures of over 50 NT papyri online, if one knows
      where to look. Wieland Willker provides a link to an impressive
      collection of images; simply Googling papyrus names and numbers can
      get you pretty far too. And at www.biblestudyaids.info you can track
      down, besides numerous other NTTC resources, a set of F.G. Kenyon's
      plates of P46. And about a dozen of the Oxyrhynchus Papyri volumes
      are available to download at www.archive.org ; several of them
      contain plates depicting NT papyri. C. H. Robert's publication of
      P52 is also online.

      For images and/or transcriptions of some major (and some minor) MSS,
      you should visit the CSNTM site, the Muenster site, and the Biblical
      Manuscripts Project site.

      That should keep you busy.

      Minister, Curtisville Christian Church
      Tipton, Indiana (USA)
      www.curtisvillechristian.org/TCGoals.html
    • Michael Marlowe
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2009
        Bob wrote: "www.bibleresearch.com contains a fairly complete list of
        English translations, with descriptions of the text behind them as well."

        Thanks for the plug, Bob. But I would like to correct the URL given
        here. The address for my website is really:

        http://www.bible-researcher.com

        I would also mention that the web directory I have put together on
        that site has a page for the "Greek New Testament," which has many
        links to helpful resources, especially at Google Books.

        Michael Marlowe
        bible-researcher.com
      • Michael Marlowe
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 29, 2009
          JM wrote:

          > For anyone else interested in this, here is one correction as far as
          > the last web site given: http://www.bible-researcher.com/guide.html
          >
          > For the English speakers, it would be fantastic if Marlowe (or
          > somebody) would actually publish that ("An English Guide to the
          > Various Readings of the Greek New Testament") in book form or perhaps
          > on LOGOS.

          I retain copyright for the "English Guide," and have not given
          permission for it to be reproduced in any media for sale; but I invite
          everyone to download it for personal use.

          If any publisher wants permission to print it, please contact me to
          make the arrangements.

          Michael Marlowe
          bible-researcher.com