Almost News About the Almost New Finds from St. Catherine's

  • James Snapp, Jr.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2009
      CSA, the Arabic Gospels that was among the MSS discovered at St.
      Catherine's in 1975, is to be published digitally by the Bibliotheca
      Alexandrina. (I think. From the way I've read the MS described, it
      practically has to be CSA. As I've mentioned before, there was a
      fascinating article on its text of Luke in NovTest and you can get a
      sneak peak at a couple of pages from CSA in the "Holy Image, Hallowed
      Ground: Icons from Mount Sinai" book.)

      The Caucasian Albanian Lectionary which was also among the 1975 finds
      at St. Catherine's but which was not detected and identified until
      Zaza Alexidze studied it later (all sorts of info about this,
      including images, can be tracked down with a little effort after one
      Googles "Caucasian Albanian") is planned to be published around this
      summer, in English translation.

      So stay tuned! Both publications should be considered Big News for
      NTTC. In a fair world, they would both be welcomed as being at least
      as important as the creation of the Codex Sinaiticus website. The
      analysis of these two texts = some of the most important work in NTTC
      studies currently underway.