Re: [textualcriticism] Re: How many copies did a scribe use when making a new manuscript

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 22, 2009
      Sure, Eddie.  Certainly there were single scribes that may have copied a mss and perhaps had two exemplars from different text types.  I would think that any two mss were probably variants.  A single scribe producing just one manuscript, however, is the least expedient and efficient process, however.  A lector reading from an exemplar for 6 scribes would be the most efficient manner to produce multiple mss for sale from a scriptorium.  A scribe working alone on one mss from one or two exemplars would be more prone to errors of parablepsis (dittography, haplography) while the multiple scribes listening to a lector, more prone to hearing errors.  Of course, the mss used by the lector could also have had parableptic errors explaining why we see certain errors repeated in certain text types.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      San Antonio, TX