Umlauts in Sangallensis 50

  • James Snapp, Jr.
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2008
      Happy New Year everyone,

      No doubt about it: Codex Sangallensis 50 (Latin Gospels, 800's), has
      umlauts, in the margin next to annotations, and in the text above the
      passage or word to which the annotation pertains. A nice example, at
      Mark 2:1, page 174 of the MS, can be viewed at

      http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/csg/0050/174/large

      I haven't looked at the MS carefully, but so far it looks like the
      umlauts are just one of several symbols used to link marginalia to
      locations in the text.

      Now I'm wondering if all the umlauts in B were intended to indicate
      textual variants. Maybe the umlauts themselves were intended to
      signify the existence of annotations in some annotation-collection,
      in which many annotations were about textual variants but a lot were
      about other things.

      It might be interesting to sort through the umlauts in B and see if
      any of them occur at the same points as the umlauts (and the other
      symbols) in Sangallensis 50.

      A description of the MS is at
      http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/description/csg/0050
      and in the upper right-hand corner different languages can be
      selected.

      Minister, Curtisville Christian Church
      Tipton, Indiana (USA)
      www.curtisvillechristian.org/TCGoals.html