Re: Old Latin reading for 1 Corinthians 15:3

  • mydogregae01
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 17, 2008
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "sarban" <sarban@...> wrote:

      > The Old Latin manuscript of Paul b (89) is listed in NA26 as a
      witness for the omission of
      > "what I also received" in 1Corinthians 15:3 (the Marcionite reading).
      >
      > Can anyone definitely confirm that b does lack this phrase ?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Andrew Criddle

      Mr. Dykes replies:

      Via Inter Library Loan you should be able to acquire this volume:
      EIN NEUER PAULUSTEXT UND KOMMENTAR by: H. J. Frede in 2 volumes, you
      would want volume 1. It part of the series called: VETUS LATINA.

      It is Frede's fine work on "b". I do not have the work on hand.

      Also, 99.9% of Greek manuscripts read "tree" is correct, [in Rev. 22]
      as only 2 or 3 Greek MSS read "book". So less than 1% of the known
      Greek MSS have this reading. Is this not clear? END.

      Hope this assists:

      JAMES,

      Good work in noticing the "umlaut" info in a Latin text! Kudos Mr.
      Snapp!!! HINT: The St. Gall site does not yet have their #73 posted,
      it has some materials on/by Cyprian. An interesting MS.

      Mr. Gary S. Dykes
      www.Biblical-data.org
    • George F Somsel
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 20, 2008
        That seems to be the reading that Irenaeus had.

        3. But who is it that has had fellowship with us in the matter of food? Whether is it he who is conceived of by them as the Christ above, who extended himself through Horos, and imparted a form to their mother; or is it He who is from the Virgin, Emmanuel, who did eat butter and honey, of whom the prophet declared, “He is also a man, and who shall know him? ” He was likewise preached by Paul: “For I delivered,” he says, “unto you first of all, that Christ died for our sins, according to the Scriptures; and that He was buried, and rose again the third day, according to the Scriptures.”

        Roberts, A., Donaldson, J., & Coxe, A. C. (1997). The Ante-Nicene Fathers Vol.I : Translations of the writings of the Fathers down to A.D. 325.  (446). Oak Harbor: Logos Research Systems.

        Irenaeus, _Against Heresies_, III.xvii.3.

        george
        gfsomsel

        … search for truth, hear truth,
        defend the truth till death.