Re: A Patristic Text With Umlauts and Triple-Dots

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2008
      Phil, I don't understand why you argue so strongly against any similarity of
      the Vaticanus symbols with symbols in other manuscripts. It will help to
      unravel the mystery, to find more manuscripts that show these dots.

      Daniel Buck points to another manuscript that shows umlauts:

      http://adultera.awardspace.com/TEXT/diacrit_files/hexapla1.jpg

      Here it looks as if the umlauts are connected with Hexaplaric signs. The
      same may be true in Vaticanus, compare the signs in the OT.

      Btw. I don't think that the date of the umlauts is the most important thing.
      We all know that the date of a manuscript does not say anything about its
      text. The more important thing is to find out what textual tradition and
      understanding the umlauts represent. From my analysis, the umlauts represent
      an inexplicable mix of textual traditions and of minor and major stuff. No
      manuscript known today comes near this.
      Note that the majority of significant variants we know today is *not*
      labeled with an umlaut in Vaticanus.
      If one would replace all words labeled with an umlaut with the variant we
      know that exists at this place, we would get a text that is approximately
      25% more Byzantine and 25% more Western (in the Gospels). The resultant
      manuscript would still be basically "Alexandrian", we would probably call it
      "mixed", but in a quite strange way. We have no such manuscript today.
      One thing is clear: The umlauts are *not* the result of a careful comparison
      of Vaticanus with either a Byzantine or a Western manuscript.

      It remains an enigma.

      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      mailto:wie@...
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/