Re: [textualcriticism] Chrysostom and the PA

  • Tommy Wasserman
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 11, 2008
      Stephen,

      thank you. I actually followed up that footnote some months ago, but came to the conclusion that Dahan is mistaken about the ascription of terra terram accusat when he says "les deux textes sont en effet d'Ambroise (Epist. I, 35, a Studius, Studiosus selon certain mss, PL 16, 1041)." There are no references to other MSS in Migne's edition at this point, and neither in the modern critical edition of Ambrose epistles. At first we actually worked along the idea that the phrase originated in the textual tradition of Ambrose, but we eventually abandoned that thesis, since the ascription to Augustine seemed more plausible.

      Tommy Wasserman