[textualcriticism] Codex San Gallensis Delta (032) is now on-line

  • Jan Krans
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
      One can download a PDF of the Boernerianus from the Dresden site: there is an option at the right side of the page: "Gesamtwerk als PDF herunterladen" / Download this work". Admittedly the image quality of the PDF is not as good as the ones Wieland pointed out.

      Note that there was no "doctoring up". The CSNTM site contains images of the 1909 facsimile edition (see also the Dresden information). The Boernerianus was serverly damaged during WW II; therefore the facsimile is in a way better than the original. It would be a nice idea for Dresden to digitize the facsimile alongside the damaged original.

      Greetings, Jan Krans
      VU University, Amsterdam
      Utrecht University
      Radboud University, Nijmegen

      Kent Clarke schreef:
      By the way, does anyone know if it is possible to download the images of Codex Boernerianus from the Dresden site; or can they only be viewed online? I have the images of this codex that are posted on the CSNTM site, but I think they have been "doctored up" to some extent.
    • mydogregae01
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 12, 2008
        Glad to finally see codex 037 (St. Gall's #48) on-line! The monastery
        at St. Gall has set a fine example of how to post decent resolutions
        of their manuscript holdings.

        As Dr. Wallace affirmed, the images of 012 (on the CSNTM site),
        have not been "doctored", (and Dr. Clark - thanks for your kind
        correction). They are faithful unaltered scans of the
        facsimile edition. They are the best visual resource for viewing this
        manuscript. The original manuscript now lies in a very poor state. My
        scanned images have had their brightness levels slightly
        increased, as many of the present day monitors (flat panels) do
        not illuminate as brightly as do the older CRT monitors. [see the
        introductory essay at the 012 images location on the CSNTM site].

        I have always been trying to encourage museums, monasteries and
        photographers to always post ONLY high quality images. Even if
        bandwidth is excessive. Dr. Wallace and I both believe that quality
        is very important, and when the CSNTM began, I pressed him to try
        to achieve high quality. He/they have done this beyond my
        expectations! (Certainly the DVD copies are of excellent resolution).

        Note that the best images at the St. Gall site are about 1 MB in size,
        those which I scanned of the facsimile edition are usually 2.5 MB in
        size. Images less than 800,000 bytes often omit too much data, or are
        of poor quality. JPGs of 2.5 MB are usually of excellent quality!!

        All humans can be grateful for the efforts of the CSNTM, providing
        us with a permanent archive of valuable MSS accessible to all. (If
        only the Greek Orthodox would be more cooperative in sharing images
        of their MSS on-line.).

        I also hope that most of you have read my essay "On the Nature of
        Biblical Textual Criticism" [PDF]. It is found on the site:

        www.Biblical-data.org - [s.v. TEXTUAL CRITICISM RESOURCES PAGE]

        I would appreciate some feed-back. As concerns the St. Gallen
        statements that 037 was written at Bobbio: how certain are they??
        Rettig seems to favor St. Gall itself, as do I. Has anyone any
        further information as to where 037 may have been written?

        And for those interested: the site -- www.Biblical-data.org -- has in
        2008 alone, over 40,000 visitors, nearly 250,000 hits. Over 20
        gigabytes of data has been downloaded. The most popular pages (again
        in 2008) are the Coptic Resources pages, and the HDR imaging pages. If
        you have not visited the Latin Resources pages, then you are missing a
        treat and a great digital (searchable too!!) copy of the Clementine
        Vulgate!! Also a picture of the main hall inside the St. Gall library.
        Coptologists from around the world have praised my Coptic pages. I
        hope you enjoy them too.

        Mr. Gary S. Dykes