RE: [textualcriticism] Codex San Gallensis Delta (032) is now on-line

  • Kent Clarke
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
      Thank you for this information and link Bob! The images are beautiful! This kind of material completely changes the way we do textual criticism as it means we no longer have to rely on poor quality microfilm images. I get really, really excited when I see this type and quality of material freely accessible.

      People might also want to note that four leaves of Codex 0130 (Cod. Sang. 18, image numbers 143-146) can also be found on this site (though the ms is a palimpsest and very hard to read). I looked for all the remaining leaves of Codex 0130 (Cod. Sang. 45 containing one more leaf; and C57 containing numerous other leaves from the Zurich Zentralbibliothek), but no others are posted yet. I also got very excited thinking that some of the Bodmer papyri and biblical codices might be posted (P66, P72, P73, P74, P75, 0241, 556, and Lect. 2195), but no such luck. I guess we can keep hoping...

      By the way, does anyone know if it is possible to download the images of Codex Boernerianus from the Dresden site; or can they only be viewed online? I have the images of this codex that are posted on the CSNTM site, but I think they have been "doctored up" to some extent.

      Keep this kind of information coming people! Thank you again Bob!

      Kent

      Kent D. Clarke (Ph.D. Bristol)
      B.F. Westcott Professor of New Testament Textual Criticism,
      Hermeneutics, and Greek Languages
      Trinity Western University
      Langley, BC, Canada
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008

        Kent asked:

        > By the way, does anyone know if it is possible

        > to download the images of Codex

        > Boernerianus from the Dresden site;

        > or can they only be viewed online?

        Yes you can, but they are slightly hidden.

        :-)

        They hide behind this Zoomify flash thingy.

        But I found them here:

        (In these cases it is always a good idea to check the source code ...)

        http://digital.slub-dresden.de/fileadmin/data/274591448/274591448_tif/jpegs/00000001.tif.large.jpg

        then count up.

        mailto:wie@...

        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie

        Textcritical Commentary:

      • Robert Relyea
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
          Kent Clarke wrote:

          > By the way, does anyone know if it is possible to download the images of Codex Boernerianus from the Dresden site; or can they only be viewed online?
          Clicking on the link "Gesamtwerk als PDF herunterladen..." to download
          the pdf. From there you can use the open source pdf tools (at least
          under linux) to slit it into separate files and convert them to .tiff.
          > I have the images of this codex that are posted on the CSNTM site, but I think they have been "doctored up" to some extent.

          It's photo lithograph made in 1909. According to the end of the Vorbericht "

          "This is a photolithographic reproduction of the manuscript the text
          of the Pauline Letters. The commentary of Matthew's Gospel and the
          fragment of Marcus Monachus (see p. 7) are not included. The color
          painting of the large letters are only reproduced in the first
          quire. In addition, work was done to retouch the smearing caused by
          the interaction of the colors on the photolithographic process."*

          The differences you see are a combination of this retouching, removal of
          the commentary material, and water damage (from World War II).

          The Vorbericht also notes why the facsimile was produced:

          "A printed addition could never replace the accuracy available from
          a photographic reproduction. Generally, the most valuable manuscripts
          should all be reproduced in this way as completely as possible,
          against the possible tangible loss to these same manuscripts. Events
          warn us that from time to time disaster strikes such as the fire in
          the University Library in Turin in January 1904, where several
          thousands very valuable manuscripts were destroyed."*

          Boerneranius is the poster-child for why we continually need to make
          facsimiles of our manuscripts. If it wasn't for the 1909 facsimile,
          parts of the Boerneranius would be lost to us (or at least very
          difficult to recover). On the other hand, there is still information in
          the modern digital facsimile that wasn't in the 1909 as modern
          techniques preserve more information of the original manuscripts. We
          probably shouldn't wait 100 years between archives anymore;).

          *English translations were done with the aid of Google, Yahoo, and Free
          Translation. Strong German speakers feel free to correct them.

          bob

          > Keep this kind of information coming people! Thank you again Bob!
          >
          > Kent

        • Jan Krans
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
            One can download a PDF of the Boernerianus from the Dresden site: there is an option at the right side of the page: "Gesamtwerk als PDF herunterladen" / Download this work". Admittedly the image quality of the PDF is not as good as the ones Wieland pointed out.

            Note that there was no "doctoring up". The CSNTM site contains images of the 1909 facsimile edition (see also the Dresden information). The Boernerianus was serverly damaged during WW II; therefore the facsimile is in a way better than the original. It would be a nice idea for Dresden to digitize the facsimile alongside the damaged original.

            Greetings, Jan Krans
            VU University, Amsterdam
            Utrecht University
            Radboud University, Nijmegen

            Kent Clarke schreef:
            By the way, does anyone know if it is possible to download the images of Codex Boernerianus from the Dresden site; or can they only be viewed online? I have the images of this codex that are posted on the CSNTM site, but I think they have been "doctored up" to some extent.
          • mydogregae01
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 12, 2008
              Glad to finally see codex 037 (St. Gall's #48) on-line! The monastery
              at St. Gall has set a fine example of how to post decent resolutions
              of their manuscript holdings.

              As Dr. Wallace affirmed, the images of 012 (on the CSNTM site),
              have not been "doctored", (and Dr. Clark - thanks for your kind
              correction). They are faithful unaltered scans of the
              facsimile edition. They are the best visual resource for viewing this
              manuscript. The original manuscript now lies in a very poor state. My
              scanned images have had their brightness levels slightly
              increased, as many of the present day monitors (flat panels) do
              not illuminate as brightly as do the older CRT monitors. [see the
              introductory essay at the 012 images location on the CSNTM site].

              I have always been trying to encourage museums, monasteries and
              photographers to always post ONLY high quality images. Even if
              bandwidth is excessive. Dr. Wallace and I both believe that quality
              is very important, and when the CSNTM began, I pressed him to try
              to achieve high quality. He/they have done this beyond my
              expectations! (Certainly the DVD copies are of excellent resolution).

              Note that the best images at the St. Gall site are about 1 MB in size,
              those which I scanned of the facsimile edition are usually 2.5 MB in
              size. Images less than 800,000 bytes often omit too much data, or are
              of poor quality. JPGs of 2.5 MB are usually of excellent quality!!

              All humans can be grateful for the efforts of the CSNTM, providing
              us with a permanent archive of valuable MSS accessible to all. (If
              only the Greek Orthodox would be more cooperative in sharing images
              of their MSS on-line.).

              I also hope that most of you have read my essay "On the Nature of
              Biblical Textual Criticism" [PDF]. It is found on the site:

              www.Biblical-data.org - [s.v. TEXTUAL CRITICISM RESOURCES PAGE]

              I would appreciate some feed-back. As concerns the St. Gallen
              statements that 037 was written at Bobbio: how certain are they??
              Rettig seems to favor St. Gall itself, as do I. Has anyone any
              further information as to where 037 may have been written?

              And for those interested: the site -- www.Biblical-data.org -- has in
              2008 alone, over 40,000 visitors, nearly 250,000 hits. Over 20
              gigabytes of data has been downloaded. The most popular pages (again
              in 2008) are the Coptic Resources pages, and the HDR imaging pages. If
              you have not visited the Latin Resources pages, then you are missing a
              treat and a great digital (searchable too!!) copy of the Clementine
              Vulgate!! Also a picture of the main hall inside the St. Gall library.
              Coptologists from around the world have praised my Coptic pages. I
              hope you enjoy them too.

              Mr. Gary S. Dykes