RE: [textualcriticism] Codex San Gallensis Delta (037) is now on-line

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
      Wow!
      That's great news!
      Delta has a very good text in Mark.
      Superb images.

      The images as such can be downloaded using this link:
      http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/manuscripts/max/csg-0048/csg-0048_001.jpg
      and then change the number at the end.

      Thanks for the note!

      mailto:wie@...
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      Textcritical Commentary:

    • Daniel
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker" <wie@...>
        wrote:
        >> The images as such can be downloaded using this link:
        http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/manuscripts/max/csg-0048/csg-0048_001.jpg
        and then change the number at the end. >>

        Changing _001 to _002 yielded another page in Latin. 003 and 004 didn't
        work, so that was probably only recto and verso.
        I'm thinking it might be necessary to change both -0048's to get to
        another leaf.

        Daniel Buck

        [MOD: It seems to work from 005 on. ---Wie]
      • James Snapp, Jr.
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
          Robert R, Wieland,

          That's wonderful! Nice images of an important MS. The people
          placing this online are to be congratulated.

          What's all the stuff after the end of Matthew? Where one would
          normally expect the kephalaia for Mark, instead there's . . . other
          stuff - a list of some supporting characters in Mt. and Lk., with
          some Latin notes, then (in the fourth of four columns) the list of
          names includes a snippet from Jn. 1:1; then some supporting
          characters from Jn are listed -- Lazarus, Martha and Mary, etc.; I
          think St. Longinus is listed too, toward the end. (And Salome is
          named in the list for Matthew, as if she is part of the Nativity
          story, a la the Prot-Ev. of James.) Anybody want to sort it all
          out? The last page of Matthew is image #175, I think.

          Curtisville Christian Church
          Tipton, Indiana (USA)
          www.curtisvillechristian.org/TCGoals.html
        • Robert Relyea
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
            > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:textualcriticism%40yahoogroups.com>, "Wieland Willker" <wie@...>
            > wrote:
            > >> The images as such can be downloaded using this link:
            > http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/manuscripts/max/csg-0048/csg-0048_001.jpg
            > <http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/manuscripts/max/csg-0048/csg-0048_001.jpg>
            > and then change the number at the end. >>
            >
            > Changing _001 to _002 yielded another page in Latin. 003 and 004 didn't
            > work, so that was probably only recto and verso.
            > I'm thinking it might be necessary to change both -0048's to get to
            > another leaf.
            >
            > Daniel Buck
            >
            > [MOD: It seems to work from 005 on. ---Wie]
            http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/manuscripts/max/csg-0048/

            Will give you the whole directory....

            bob
          • Kent Clarke
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
              Thank you for this information and link Bob! The images are beautiful! This kind of material completely changes the way we do textual criticism as it means we no longer have to rely on poor quality microfilm images. I get really, really excited when I see this type and quality of material freely accessible.

              People might also want to note that four leaves of Codex 0130 (Cod. Sang. 18, image numbers 143-146) can also be found on this site (though the ms is a palimpsest and very hard to read). I looked for all the remaining leaves of Codex 0130 (Cod. Sang. 45 containing one more leaf; and C57 containing numerous other leaves from the Zurich Zentralbibliothek), but no others are posted yet. I also got very excited thinking that some of the Bodmer papyri and biblical codices might be posted (P66, P72, P73, P74, P75, 0241, 556, and Lect. 2195), but no such luck. I guess we can keep hoping...

              By the way, does anyone know if it is possible to download the images of Codex Boernerianus from the Dresden site; or can they only be viewed online? I have the images of this codex that are posted on the CSNTM site, but I think they have been "doctored up" to some extent.

              Keep this kind of information coming people! Thank you again Bob!

              Kent

              Kent D. Clarke (Ph.D. Bristol)
              B.F. Westcott Professor of New Testament Textual Criticism,
              Hermeneutics, and Greek Languages
              Trinity Western University
              Langley, BC, Canada

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008

                Kent asked:

                > By the way, does anyone know if it is possible

                > to download the images of Codex

                > Boernerianus from the Dresden site;

                > or can they only be viewed online?

                Yes you can, but they are slightly hidden.

                :-)

                They hide behind this Zoomify flash thingy.

                But I found them here:

                (In these cases it is always a good idea to check the source code ...)

                http://digital.slub-dresden.de/fileadmin/data/274591448/274591448_tif/jpegs/00000001.tif.large.jpg

                then count up.

                mailto:wie@...

                http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie

                Textcritical Commentary:

              • Robert Relyea
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                  Kent Clarke wrote:

                  > By the way, does anyone know if it is possible to download the images of Codex Boernerianus from the Dresden site; or can they only be viewed online?
                  Clicking on the link "Gesamtwerk als PDF herunterladen..." to download
                  the pdf. From there you can use the open source pdf tools (at least
                  under linux) to slit it into separate files and convert them to .tiff.
                  > I have the images of this codex that are posted on the CSNTM site, but I think they have been "doctored up" to some extent.

                  It's photo lithograph made in 1909. According to the end of the Vorbericht "

                  "This is a photolithographic reproduction of the manuscript the text
                  of the Pauline Letters. The commentary of Matthew's Gospel and the
                  fragment of Marcus Monachus (see p. 7) are not included. The color
                  painting of the large letters are only reproduced in the first
                  quire. In addition, work was done to retouch the smearing caused by
                  the interaction of the colors on the photolithographic process."*

                  The differences you see are a combination of this retouching, removal of
                  the commentary material, and water damage (from World War II).

                  The Vorbericht also notes why the facsimile was produced:

                  "A printed addition could never replace the accuracy available from
                  a photographic reproduction. Generally, the most valuable manuscripts
                  should all be reproduced in this way as completely as possible,
                  against the possible tangible loss to these same manuscripts. Events
                  warn us that from time to time disaster strikes such as the fire in
                  the University Library in Turin in January 1904, where several
                  thousands very valuable manuscripts were destroyed."*

                  Boerneranius is the poster-child for why we continually need to make
                  facsimiles of our manuscripts. If it wasn't for the 1909 facsimile,
                  parts of the Boerneranius would be lost to us (or at least very
                  difficult to recover). On the other hand, there is still information in
                  the modern digital facsimile that wasn't in the 1909 as modern
                  techniques preserve more information of the original manuscripts. We
                  probably shouldn't wait 100 years between archives anymore;).

                  *English translations were done with the aid of Google, Yahoo, and Free
                  Translation. Strong German speakers feel free to correct them.

                  bob

                  > Keep this kind of information coming people! Thank you again Bob!
                  >
                  > Kent

                • Jan Krans
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                    One can download a PDF of the Boernerianus from the Dresden site: there is an option at the right side of the page: "Gesamtwerk als PDF herunterladen" / Download this work". Admittedly the image quality of the PDF is not as good as the ones Wieland pointed out.

                    Note that there was no "doctoring up". The CSNTM site contains images of the 1909 facsimile edition (see also the Dresden information). The Boernerianus was serverly damaged during WW II; therefore the facsimile is in a way better than the original. It would be a nice idea for Dresden to digitize the facsimile alongside the damaged original.

                    Greetings, Jan Krans
                    VU University, Amsterdam
                    Utrecht University
                    Radboud University, Nijmegen

                    Kent Clarke schreef:
                    By the way, does anyone know if it is possible to download the images of Codex Boernerianus from the Dresden site; or can they only be viewed online? I have the images of this codex that are posted on the CSNTM site, but I think they have been "doctored up" to some extent.
                  • mydogregae01
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 12, 2008
                      Glad to finally see codex 037 (St. Gall's #48) on-line! The monastery
                      at St. Gall has set a fine example of how to post decent resolutions
                      of their manuscript holdings.

                      As Dr. Wallace affirmed, the images of 012 (on the CSNTM site),
                      have not been "doctored", (and Dr. Clark - thanks for your kind
                      correction). They are faithful unaltered scans of the
                      facsimile edition. They are the best visual resource for viewing this
                      manuscript. The original manuscript now lies in a very poor state. My
                      scanned images have had their brightness levels slightly
                      increased, as many of the present day monitors (flat panels) do
                      not illuminate as brightly as do the older CRT monitors. [see the
                      introductory essay at the 012 images location on the CSNTM site].

                      I have always been trying to encourage museums, monasteries and
                      photographers to always post ONLY high quality images. Even if
                      bandwidth is excessive. Dr. Wallace and I both believe that quality
                      is very important, and when the CSNTM began, I pressed him to try
                      to achieve high quality. He/they have done this beyond my
                      expectations! (Certainly the DVD copies are of excellent resolution).

                      Note that the best images at the St. Gall site are about 1 MB in size,
                      those which I scanned of the facsimile edition are usually 2.5 MB in
                      size. Images less than 800,000 bytes often omit too much data, or are
                      of poor quality. JPGs of 2.5 MB are usually of excellent quality!!

                      All humans can be grateful for the efforts of the CSNTM, providing
                      us with a permanent archive of valuable MSS accessible to all. (If
                      only the Greek Orthodox would be more cooperative in sharing images
                      of their MSS on-line.).

                      I also hope that most of you have read my essay "On the Nature of
                      Biblical Textual Criticism" [PDF]. It is found on the site:

                      www.Biblical-data.org - [s.v. TEXTUAL CRITICISM RESOURCES PAGE]

                      I would appreciate some feed-back. As concerns the St. Gallen
                      statements that 037 was written at Bobbio: how certain are they??
                      Rettig seems to favor St. Gall itself, as do I. Has anyone any
                      further information as to where 037 may have been written?

                      And for those interested: the site -- www.Biblical-data.org -- has in
                      2008 alone, over 40,000 visitors, nearly 250,000 hits. Over 20
                      gigabytes of data has been downloaded. The most popular pages (again
                      in 2008) are the Coptic Resources pages, and the HDR imaging pages. If
                      you have not visited the Latin Resources pages, then you are missing a
                      treat and a great digital (searchable too!!) copy of the Clementine
                      Vulgate!! Also a picture of the main hall inside the St. Gall library.
                      Coptologists from around the world have praised my Coptic pages. I
                      hope you enjoy them too.

                      Mr. Gary S. Dykes