Codex San Gallensis Delta (032) is now on-line

  • Robert Relyea
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
      The Swiss e-codices project has now linked in a copy of Δ on-line.

      Terms of Use: http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/terms
      Project Home Page: http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en

      http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/en/list/csg

      In the Choose collection box: Select "St Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek"
      In the Quick Selection box: Select "Cod. San. 48"

      (For pages in german, replace the 'en' with 'de' in the above URL's)

      It's now possible to compare the San Gallensis with the Bormeranius from
      the comfort of your own computer (the latter is available at
      http://digital.slub-dresden.de/sammlungen/titeldaten/274591448/ )

      bob
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
        Wow!
        That's great news!
        Delta has a very good text in Mark.
        Superb images.

        The images as such can be downloaded using this link:
        http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/manuscripts/max/csg-0048/csg-0048_001.jpg
        and then change the number at the end.

        Thanks for the note!

        mailto:wie@...
        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
        Textcritical Commentary:

      • Daniel
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker" <wie@...>
          wrote:
          >> The images as such can be downloaded using this link:
          http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/manuscripts/max/csg-0048/csg-0048_001.jpg
          and then change the number at the end. >>

          Changing _001 to _002 yielded another page in Latin. 003 and 004 didn't
          work, so that was probably only recto and verso.
          I'm thinking it might be necessary to change both -0048's to get to
          another leaf.

          Daniel Buck

          [MOD: It seems to work from 005 on. ---Wie]
        • James Snapp, Jr.
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
            Robert R, Wieland,

            That's wonderful! Nice images of an important MS. The people
            placing this online are to be congratulated.

            What's all the stuff after the end of Matthew? Where one would
            normally expect the kephalaia for Mark, instead there's . . . other
            stuff - a list of some supporting characters in Mt. and Lk., with
            some Latin notes, then (in the fourth of four columns) the list of
            names includes a snippet from Jn. 1:1; then some supporting
            characters from Jn are listed -- Lazarus, Martha and Mary, etc.; I
            think St. Longinus is listed too, toward the end. (And Salome is
            named in the list for Matthew, as if she is part of the Nativity
            story, a la the Prot-Ev. of James.) Anybody want to sort it all
            out? The last page of Matthew is image #175, I think.

            Curtisville Christian Church
            Tipton, Indiana (USA)
            www.curtisvillechristian.org/TCGoals.html
          • Robert Relyea
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
              > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:textualcriticism%40yahoogroups.com>, "Wieland Willker" <wie@...>
              > wrote:
              > >> The images as such can be downloaded using this link:
              > http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/manuscripts/max/csg-0048/csg-0048_001.jpg
              > <http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/manuscripts/max/csg-0048/csg-0048_001.jpg>
              > and then change the number at the end. >>
              >
              > Changing _001 to _002 yielded another page in Latin. 003 and 004 didn't
              > work, so that was probably only recto and verso.
              > I'm thinking it might be necessary to change both -0048's to get to
              > another leaf.
              >
              > Daniel Buck
              >
              > [MOD: It seems to work from 005 on. ---Wie]
              http://www.e-codices.unifr.ch/manuscripts/max/csg-0048/

              Will give you the whole directory....

              bob
            • Kent Clarke
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
                Thank you for this information and link Bob! The images are beautiful! This kind of material completely changes the way we do textual criticism as it means we no longer have to rely on poor quality microfilm images. I get really, really excited when I see this type and quality of material freely accessible.

                People might also want to note that four leaves of Codex 0130 (Cod. Sang. 18, image numbers 143-146) can also be found on this site (though the ms is a palimpsest and very hard to read). I looked for all the remaining leaves of Codex 0130 (Cod. Sang. 45 containing one more leaf; and C57 containing numerous other leaves from the Zurich Zentralbibliothek), but no others are posted yet. I also got very excited thinking that some of the Bodmer papyri and biblical codices might be posted (P66, P72, P73, P74, P75, 0241, 556, and Lect. 2195), but no such luck. I guess we can keep hoping...

                By the way, does anyone know if it is possible to download the images of Codex Boernerianus from the Dresden site; or can they only be viewed online? I have the images of this codex that are posted on the CSNTM site, but I think they have been "doctored up" to some extent.

                Keep this kind of information coming people! Thank you again Bob!

                Kent

                Kent D. Clarke (Ph.D. Bristol)
                B.F. Westcott Professor of New Testament Textual Criticism,
                Hermeneutics, and Greek Languages
                Trinity Western University
                Langley, BC, Canada

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008

                  Kent asked:

                  > By the way, does anyone know if it is possible

                  > to download the images of Codex

                  > Boernerianus from the Dresden site;

                  > or can they only be viewed online?

                  Yes you can, but they are slightly hidden.

                  :-)

                  They hide behind this Zoomify flash thingy.

                  But I found them here:

                  (In these cases it is always a good idea to check the source code ...)

                  http://digital.slub-dresden.de/fileadmin/data/274591448/274591448_tif/jpegs/00000001.tif.large.jpg

                  then count up.

                  mailto:wie@...

                  http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie

                  Textcritical Commentary:

                • Robert Relyea
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                    Kent Clarke wrote:

                    > By the way, does anyone know if it is possible to download the images of Codex Boernerianus from the Dresden site; or can they only be viewed online?
                    Clicking on the link "Gesamtwerk als PDF herunterladen..." to download
                    the pdf. From there you can use the open source pdf tools (at least
                    under linux) to slit it into separate files and convert them to .tiff.
                    > I have the images of this codex that are posted on the CSNTM site, but I think they have been "doctored up" to some extent.

                    It's photo lithograph made in 1909. According to the end of the Vorbericht "

                    "This is a photolithographic reproduction of the manuscript the text
                    of the Pauline Letters. The commentary of Matthew's Gospel and the
                    fragment of Marcus Monachus (see p. 7) are not included. The color
                    painting of the large letters are only reproduced in the first
                    quire. In addition, work was done to retouch the smearing caused by
                    the interaction of the colors on the photolithographic process."*

                    The differences you see are a combination of this retouching, removal of
                    the commentary material, and water damage (from World War II).

                    The Vorbericht also notes why the facsimile was produced:

                    "A printed addition could never replace the accuracy available from
                    a photographic reproduction. Generally, the most valuable manuscripts
                    should all be reproduced in this way as completely as possible,
                    against the possible tangible loss to these same manuscripts. Events
                    warn us that from time to time disaster strikes such as the fire in
                    the University Library in Turin in January 1904, where several
                    thousands very valuable manuscripts were destroyed."*

                    Boerneranius is the poster-child for why we continually need to make
                    facsimiles of our manuscripts. If it wasn't for the 1909 facsimile,
                    parts of the Boerneranius would be lost to us (or at least very
                    difficult to recover). On the other hand, there is still information in
                    the modern digital facsimile that wasn't in the 1909 as modern
                    techniques preserve more information of the original manuscripts. We
                    probably shouldn't wait 100 years between archives anymore;).

                    *English translations were done with the aid of Google, Yahoo, and Free
                    Translation. Strong German speakers feel free to correct them.

                    bob

                    > Keep this kind of information coming people! Thank you again Bob!
                    >
                    > Kent

                  • Jan Krans
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                      One can download a PDF of the Boernerianus from the Dresden site: there is an option at the right side of the page: "Gesamtwerk als PDF herunterladen" / Download this work". Admittedly the image quality of the PDF is not as good as the ones Wieland pointed out.

                      Note that there was no "doctoring up". The CSNTM site contains images of the 1909 facsimile edition (see also the Dresden information). The Boernerianus was serverly damaged during WW II; therefore the facsimile is in a way better than the original. It would be a nice idea for Dresden to digitize the facsimile alongside the damaged original.

                      Greetings, Jan Krans
                      VU University, Amsterdam
                      Utrecht University
                      Radboud University, Nijmegen

                      Kent Clarke schreef:
                      By the way, does anyone know if it is possible to download the images of Codex Boernerianus from the Dresden site; or can they only be viewed online? I have the images of this codex that are posted on the CSNTM site, but I think they have been "doctored up" to some extent.
                    • mydogregae01
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 12, 2008
                        Glad to finally see codex 037 (St. Gall's #48) on-line! The monastery
                        at St. Gall has set a fine example of how to post decent resolutions
                        of their manuscript holdings.

                        As Dr. Wallace affirmed, the images of 012 (on the CSNTM site),
                        have not been "doctored", (and Dr. Clark - thanks for your kind
                        correction). They are faithful unaltered scans of the
                        facsimile edition. They are the best visual resource for viewing this
                        manuscript. The original manuscript now lies in a very poor state. My
                        scanned images have had their brightness levels slightly
                        increased, as many of the present day monitors (flat panels) do
                        not illuminate as brightly as do the older CRT monitors. [see the
                        introductory essay at the 012 images location on the CSNTM site].

                        I have always been trying to encourage museums, monasteries and
                        photographers to always post ONLY high quality images. Even if
                        bandwidth is excessive. Dr. Wallace and I both believe that quality
                        is very important, and when the CSNTM began, I pressed him to try
                        to achieve high quality. He/they have done this beyond my
                        expectations! (Certainly the DVD copies are of excellent resolution).

                        Note that the best images at the St. Gall site are about 1 MB in size,
                        those which I scanned of the facsimile edition are usually 2.5 MB in
                        size. Images less than 800,000 bytes often omit too much data, or are
                        of poor quality. JPGs of 2.5 MB are usually of excellent quality!!

                        All humans can be grateful for the efforts of the CSNTM, providing
                        us with a permanent archive of valuable MSS accessible to all. (If
                        only the Greek Orthodox would be more cooperative in sharing images
                        of their MSS on-line.).

                        I also hope that most of you have read my essay "On the Nature of
                        Biblical Textual Criticism" [PDF]. It is found on the site:

                        www.Biblical-data.org - [s.v. TEXTUAL CRITICISM RESOURCES PAGE]

                        I would appreciate some feed-back. As concerns the St. Gallen
                        statements that 037 was written at Bobbio: how certain are they??
                        Rettig seems to favor St. Gall itself, as do I. Has anyone any
                        further information as to where 037 may have been written?

                        And for those interested: the site -- www.Biblical-data.org -- has in
                        2008 alone, over 40,000 visitors, nearly 250,000 hits. Over 20
                        gigabytes of data has been downloaded. The most popular pages (again
                        in 2008) are the Coptic Resources pages, and the HDR imaging pages. If
                        you have not visited the Latin Resources pages, then you are missing a
                        treat and a great digital (searchable too!!) copy of the Clementine
                        Vulgate!! Also a picture of the main hall inside the St. Gall library.
                        Coptologists from around the world have praised my Coptic pages. I
                        hope you enjoy them too.

                        Mr. Gary S. Dykes