Re: [textualcriticism] Re: tetragrammaton in Gk mss- David Arghir

  • David Arghir
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21, 2008
      Hi all,
      This is a well known fact and some of the manuscripts supports your point of view, but the scribes had to adapt the Hebrew tetragram in order to have a significant meaning for their culture. In other words this is not a mistake rather an intentional change. As we know already there are two kind of the scribal "works" ( I prefer this word in this context) that has been made upon the text: intentional and unintentional ajustments.
      If the greek manuscripts holds the hebrew proper noun for Yahweh or the tetragram this reflects the respect or the theological understanding of the scribe.
      Many greek NT manuscripts like Sinaiticus, Alexandrinus even the Majority of the greek witnesses uses the well known shortened conventional scribal word Theos.(qU)

      David Arghir

      DAVID ARGHIR