Re: [textualcriticism] Question for BART D. EHRMANN

  • Edward Andrews
    Message 1 of 104 , Nov 2, 2008
      Bart:

      What it actually comes down to is that you see the glass as almost empty; while others see it as almost full. It is almost like a person who leaves a religious organization because of one issue that get's under his skin and before he knows it; he starts speaking as though that religious organization has never been right about one thing. This is being clouded over by emotions to the point that this one is now thinking irrationally, but believes he is thinking rationally.

        “With the abundance of evidence, what can we say about the total number of variants known today? Scholars differ significantly in their estimates -- some say there are 200,000 variants known, some say 300,000, some say 400,000 or more! We do not know for sure because, despite impressive developments in computer technology, no one has yet been able to count them all. Perhaps, as I indicated earlier, it is best simply to leave the matter in comparative terms. There are more variations among our manuscripts than there are words in the New Testament.”1
        1 MISQUOTING JESUS: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why, Bart Ehrman (HarperSanFrancisco: 2005), 89-90.

      It is the numbers game in your book. First, in your book, you do not present every variant. However, if one were to look at everyone you did present, they should find the posterboy for the impression you left with the reader. In fact, you present 42 texts; which you claim contain up to a few hundred variants. Actually, the total number of words in the texts presented is more like 1,200. This is less than one percent of the words in the Greek NT (.01).

      If we were to subtract words that have never really been a textual issue from your 1,200 words (John 7:53-8:11; Mark 16:9-20; 1 John 5:7-8 580 words), we would have 620 words remaining. Next, if one were to remove words of variants that are trivial in nature, being most obvious, being found in only a handful of mss and having no impact on the text whatsoever; this would bring us down to 380 words after nocking off another 240 words. The last to be removed is  the geneaology of Luke (3:23-38 -340 words) that has never been an issue in Bible translation. Therefore, we are now down to 40 words remaining.

      In the end, you have 40 words that are of any real concern. This is what one is left with after all of those big numbers throughout your book. If we were to focus on your book with numbers being our goal, you presented 99.9% of words that have 0% of an impact on textual criticism. Yet, managed to set up an atmosphere ("There are more variations among our manuscripts than there are words in the New Testament”), which only paints a hopeless picture. I know you did not put forth all of the evidence; but it is a good sampling that makes it all too clear that by your choice of words and the context of the things said; you did not go the extra mile to help the reader understand the inconsequential variants are like picking apples from a tree, very clear. In fact, it has all the earmarks of leaving the reader with the opposite understanding.

      The difference between you and Wallace, Lightfoot, Jones, Wright, Evans and others is the fact that they are trying to build up. I will not say you are trying to tear down, but a "happy agnostic" does not have much money in the game. I will use Neil R. Lightfoot as my example. He will address the variants, but he always makes sure that the reader is grasping the picture that 99% of all variants are "trivial;" other variants are 'substantial but have no consequence' and there are a handful of variants that are 'substantial and have a bearing on the text.' These few present no problem to those that see the Bible as God's Word, but it is hyped up in the opposite direction by those that see it as the word of man. You see a large number of manuscripts as a threat; whereas the others see it as an aid.

      If you were walking a person into heart surgery and the odds of their survival is 95%; but you keep repeating the 5% over and over again; what do you think the patient's disposition will be. Just because you are "a happy agnostic" does not mean that others are. For millions the Bible has had a changing power in their lives. No other book has affected mankind for the better. It has helped many a person to cope with this world we live in; it has helped many a person to overcome personality disorders, to rebuild a failing marriage, to overcome a life of crime, to recover from being a victim of another; whether it be rape, child abuse, or spousal abuse. So, these words mean everything to these ones. SO, YES, I expect you to repeat the inconsequential over and over again. The patient wants to hear that s/he has a 95% success rate going into surgery.

      You are like the doctor that walks into the hospital room and uses medical terms; being very analytical and not seeing the beating heart of the patient; the tears welling up in his eyes as he does not understand your words, but it is enough to help him realize that all is lost. It has to be a nurse that comes in later, to comfort him and reexplain your analysis in layman terms, so that he can appreciate that his is going to live.

      Edward Andrews

      Liberty University

      Message 104 of 104 , Nov 30, 2008
        Bart Ehrman wrote:

        >>Larry,

            Well, I don't find this kind of polemical shotgun back and forth (he said / she said, on multiple fronts) to be all that useful as a mode of discourse.<<

        Nor do I and I wish you'd cease from engaging in it. I made 2 points. That's all. In both, you've been quite defensive and even petulant.

        Nor is this present a mere "he said/she said" disagreement: its a "Bart said vs. Bart said" disagreement that you keep attempting to slide past. The best thing it seems to me to do would be either clarify the apparent contradiction, or just simply admit that your response to my comment responding to Tommy Wasserman was a bit overstated and in need of qualification. Easily done. In such a format, everyone makes statements that need qualification.

         >> But if you have a specific issue you'd like me to address, I'd be happy to.<<

        I believe I've already raised them. And let's recall that it was *you* who responded to my response to Tommy Wasserman regarding ancient and medieval scribal practices.

        >> I will, though, deal with the final question you raise.  Just to recount the conversation up to this point, to make sure we're on the same page.  You indicated that I claimed that there had been a "wholesale, seamless rewriting of the original" somewhere in the manuscript tradition; I asked you what gave you the idea that that was something I claimed, and your reply (below) is that you got the idea from me.  And you would like me to clarify.<<

        Good so far.

        >>  So to clarify: I don't know where you are getting the idea from that I think there was a wholesale seamless rewriting of the original;<<

        In hind sight, perhaps I overstated it. Are you not introducing the possibility that such happened when you claim that our ignorance is such that we have no inkling what happened after the autograph was made. Further you stated: "If someone can explain to me the logic of appealing to an author's style when you don't think you can get back to his words (hence his style), I'll eat my Westcott and Hort!"

        This suggests that it the author's text is unrecoverable in any real sense: i. e. that it was changed, that we can not recover it, and that such change is undetectable since we can not make appeals to the author's style etc. Now you state that "seamless rewriting" is not what you had in mind, ok, fair enough. But it doesn't let you off the hook. Your statements that you can't get back to the author's words and so therefore can't appeal to an author's style suggest that a) the process of reconstructing a text can not get back to the author and b) if we can not get back to the author, its suggests a stage or stages of more than mere interpolation and a few changes. If we take seriously the notion that in the period between author's copy and initial text considerable changes may have taken place that left no trace in the textual tradition, then we have to apply other tools, such as authorial style. If that isn't applicable, however, then we have to posit that those changes between authorial copy and initial copy were so thorough and complete as to be indistinguishable on close study of style, syntax, vocabulary etc. Possible, but given again what we know about ancient scribal practices (and even those making personal copies), is this likely on anything except a theoretical level?

        >> I don't recall ever saying such a thing, and don't recall ever thinking such a thing, and so I don't know what you're referring to.  If I *did* say this, I guess I'll have to defend it!<<

        That's illogical. There are many other responses possible besides defense.

        >> I just don't remember ever being certain that we know what happened in the early stages of the tradition.  So does that clarify it?<<

        It does somewhat, but not entirely. Certitude, however, was not what I was suggesting or after. Certitude isn't possible. Probabilities however are.

        >>  I don't *know* what happened in the earliest decades when the text was being copied (I certainly don't know that their was a wholesale seamless rewriting of the autographs; and I equally don't know that there wasn't).  And I don't believe you know either!  *Do* you think you know?  If so, how do you know?<<

        Do I know? Of course not. But I don't know that the planet on which I dwell will continue to rotate on its axis in the same motion and the same speed so that the sun will give the appearance of "rising" in the morning over what is to me my eastern horizon. But based on the current evidence available to me, I can make a probable prediction that no appreciable change will occur between now and then as to change the nature of that rotation. Likewise, given what we know, we can speak in probabilities about textual reconstructions too. With Dr. Wasserman, I think the best and simplest explanation is that there is no significant difference between authorial copy and initial copy, and that it is more likely that redactional activity between authorial copy and initial copy are detectable...and hence appeal to an author's style remains a valid tool.

        Larry Swain
        UIC