RE: [textualcriticism] Re: The Pericope de Adultera and Greek Lectionary influence

  • Bart Ehrman
    Message 1 of 60 , Oct 10 8:38 AM
          Very interesting!  Question: do we know which church fathers available in critical editions in the 1870s were known to refer /allude to the passage?
      -- BDE
      Bart D. Ehrman
      James A. Gray Professor
      Department of Religious Studies

      Message 60 of 60 , Oct 15 3:53 AM
        Malcomb wrote:
        << One final note, the pericope presupposes that the Jews of Jesus'
        ministry on earth had the authority to kill. This [is refuted]
        elsewhere in the Gospel narrative.>>

        There are a couple of problems with this assertion.

        1) The text specifically says that this was a setup by the Scribes
        and/or Pharisees. It should have been a lose/lose proposition for
        Jesus: if he said "stone her," he would be in trouble with the Romans
        for instigating a lynching, as alluded to in 18:31. If he said "free
        her," he would be seen as "soft on crime" and loose popular support.
        They did not, of course, forsee the third option, which made them out
        to be the losers instead. But no authority under ROMAN law to execute
        was ever claimed; only under MOSAIC law.

        2) Lynchings by stoning did in fact occur during that era, as seen by
        the examples of Stephen in Acts 7 and James in the History of