Re: Reconstruction of POxy 4448 (P109)

  • codex_05
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2008
      Will you allow a response from an obvious outsider, but one that has
      had a long standing interest in papyrology and palaeography and a
      former member of the American Society of Papyrologists. Based on the
      writing habits of this scribe as seen on the verso where the top
      cross stroke of one tau conjoins a following eta, making the
      assumption that on the recto one of your "dots", if it follows the
      accepted text, could be the middle stroke of an epsilon crossing an
      iota. I admit the second dot does look a bit unusual. With it in the
      margin one wonders if it is a marginal notation symbol of some sort.
      It certainly does resemble our old "division" symbol.

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker" <wie@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear friends,
      >
      > I have a question regarding the reconstruction of P.Oxy. 4448,
      which is NT papyrus P109.
      > On the recto there are two "dots" after an Epsilon which are
      difficult to interpret. These are either letters, or an error, or
      just filler dots.