Re: Apologetically Difficult Passages

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2008
      "James Snapp, Jr." wrote:

      >> (2) Mark 15:25 says, "Now it was the third hour, and they
      crucified him." The "third hour" would be 9:00 a.m. But John 19:14,
      describing a statement made by Pilate before he sentenced Jesus to
      death, says, "Now it was the Preparation Day of the Passover, and
      about the sixth hour." The sixth hour would be 12 noon. Problem:
      Jesus can't be crucified at 9:00 a.m. if He is still on trial at 12
      noon. (Off the top of my head, I think Eusebius of Caesarea offered
      the idea that the Greek letters Gamma (representing "3rd") and Stau
      (representing "6th") were mistakenly interchanged by early copyists.
      That would help resolve the apparent discrepancy about the hour but
      not the one about the day.)<<

      I'd like to take up this discussion on another thread (it was Peter,
      Bishop of Alexandria, who claimed that the original mss, then on
      display in Ephesus, read '3rd'). I'm having a hard time finding
      online facsimilies--most of the links from Wieland's resource-list
      are broken. Can someone throw up a list of working links to the first
      five uncials at least?

      Another big one:
      In Matthew 27:9-10, a quote attributed to "Jeremias the Prophet" is
      actually found in Zechariah 11:12-13.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2008
        Please concentrate on the *textcritical issues* of these
        passages!

        Passages without variants are off-topic.

        mailto:wie@...
        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
        Textcritical Commentary:
      • Eddie Mishoe
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2008
          Daniel:

          Try www.csntm.org then goto Manuscripts.

          Dr. Williker: I occasionally do not word my questions properly but ALL my questions are intended to avoid theological discussions and to address issues that relate to TC issues. For example, the Elhanan killing Goliath is a TC question by virtue of the fact that no existing ms clears up the contradiction, not one!!

          And to some extend a contradiction to me means there is no existing manuscript that has a reading that avoids the contradiction. So, my apologies to you and the members if my original question did not explicitly state that I did not want to get into theological disputes, but disputes that relate to extant readings. I've made this mistake a few times on B-Greek before I learned how to word my questions a little better. Every once and a while I write without the added precaution.

          Dr. Snapp, once again, thank you for your thoughtful answer. I always enjoy reading posts that make me dig deep into my resources.

          Eddie Mishoe
          Pastor - ret.

        • Daniel
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 28, 2008
            "Daniel" <bucksburg@...> wrote:
            >> In Matthew 27:9-10, a quote attributed to "Jeremias the Prophet" is
            actually found in Zechariah 11:12-13. <<

            I forgot to mention the several mss that don't have Ieremiou at this
            variant.

            omit [i.e, just 'the prophet']: F, 33, 157, pc, a, b, Sy-S, Sy-P, bo[ms]
            Zacariou 22, Sy-H[mg]
            Ihsaiou 21, l

            Interestingly, almost the same thing has happened here as at Mark 1:2,
            but with even more variation.