Lk 11:34 what is this in P75?

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2008
      A question to the experts:
      In P75 there is an addition above the line, which I cannot make out. What is it?
      Is it Greek?

      Have a look here:
      http://tinyurl.com/5eovg4

      Suggestions welcome!

      mailto:wie@...
    • David Hindley
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2008
        Wieland,

        Looks a bit like Hebrew or Aramaic in box script.

        Respectfully,

        Dave Hindley
        Newton Falls, Ohio USA

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2008
          W,

          Another possibility ...

          If you rotate the zoomed-in (your "cropped") picture until it is upside down, and play with it by flipping it horizontally back and forth, it seems that this is actually the upper or lower half of a line of text that was somehow transferred onto the papyrus. I do not know enough to say what halves of what letters or in what script these may have been. But it does seem to be cut cleanly in half (very slight unevenness to the cut, though, like the edge of a sheet of papyrus got in the way and only allowed the ink on part of another sheet to bleed through).

          Respectfully,

          Dave Hindley
          Newton Falls, Ohio USA

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2008
            David Hindley wrote:
            > it seems that this is actually the upper or lower half of
            > a line of text that was somehow transferred onto the
            > papyrus.

            Interesting suggestion.
            Perhaps there is some edge on the papyrus?

            The only idea I've had is that perhaps the slash after the "Phi" is a sign for an abbreviation, which is quite common, like K/ for KAI etc.

            A look at the original, as always, may reveal something.

            mailto:wie@...