RE: [textualcriticism] How to determine if a specific text is Byz or Alex or West or Other

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3 1:44 PM
      > What makes a Byzantine reading Byzantine? And what
      > makes an Alexandrian reading Alexandrian?

      I would take a pragmatic approach:
      A Byzantine reading is a reading of which the majority
      support is Byzantine.
      Normally a Byzantine reading is also the Majority reading.

      An Alexandrian reading is a reading of which the majority
      support is Alexandrian.

      The only question is how to define "majority". 55% or 75%?
      It depends. There is no strict definition.

      A Western reading is a reading supported by D and/or the Old
      Latin.

      mailto:wie@...
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      Textcritical Commentary: