How to determine if a specific text is Byz or Alex or West or Other

  • Eddie Mishoe
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3 7:00 AM
      What makes a Byzantine reading Byzantine? And what makes an Alexandrian reading Alexandrian? The reason I ask is because you can find (so I'm told) a Byzantine reading in older Alexandrian mss. So, within an Alexandrian manuscript, apparently you can find "non-Alexandrian" readings. I'm assuming that the Byzantine mss also contain non-Byzantine readings. Therefore, what makes a reading Byzantine or Alexandrian is not the particular ms it is in, but the 'actual wording' of the text. THAT is what I'm looking for: how to determine the 'actual wording' as Byzantine or Alexandrian (or Western, or other).

      Eddie Mishoe
      Pastor
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3 1:44 PM
        > What makes a Byzantine reading Byzantine? And what
        > makes an Alexandrian reading Alexandrian?

        I would take a pragmatic approach:
        A Byzantine reading is a reading of which the majority
        support is Byzantine.
        Normally a Byzantine reading is also the Majority reading.

        An Alexandrian reading is a reading of which the majority
        support is Alexandrian.

        The only question is how to define "majority". 55% or 75%?
        It depends. There is no strict definition.

        A Western reading is a reading supported by D and/or the Old
        Latin.

        mailto:wie@...
        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
        Textcritical Commentary: