RE: Review of Parker's New Testament Manuscripts and Texts

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2 11:48 PM
      > incidentally, one of the articles, namely "In Pursuit of a
      > Singular Text: New Testament Textual Criticism and
      > the Desire for the True Original Author," by Jennifer
      > Knust, in Religion Compass, 2008, vol. 2, no. 2, pp.
      > 180-194, actually contains such a discussion you are
      > looking for.

      Yes, that's interesting. I will try to get this article.

      > suggests that God works not through an overarching
      > unity but through human and textual diversity,

      This is the case in reality, yes.

      > which is in turn regarded as an opportunity for the
      > advancement of both faith and human knowledge.

      Advancement of faith by variants? I don't know. I need the article.

      Overall I think that one should not exaggerate the differences between the texts. It must never be forgotten that e.g. the basis of the Western text was a text far more ancient than any MS now extant or even any patristic testimony accessible to us. Now look at the considerable agreement between the Western and the other old texts. They agree most of the time. And the Western text is already the worst case.

      mailto:wie@...