Re: "valley girl-isms" eliminated from John?

  • George F. Somsel
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2008
      The original scribe was quite free in his interaction with the text.
      He produced several singular readings that reveal his independent
      interpretation of the text. While the numerous scribal mistakes would
      seem to indicate that the scribe was inattentive, many of the
      singular readings—prior to correction—reveal that he was not detached
      from the narrative of the text. Rather, he became so absorbed in his
      reading that he often forgot the exact words he was copying. His task
      as a copyist was to duplicate the exemplar word for word, but this
      was frustrated by the fact that he was reading the text in logical
      semantic chunks. As a result, he continually had to stop his reading
      and make many in-process corrections. But he left several places
      uncorrected, which were later corrected by the diorthôtçs. The
      diorthôtçs was primarily concerned with correcting matters of
      substance and adjusting the copy according to a different exemplar.
      The only time the diorthôtçs seemed to have deviated from his task of
      correcting was in 8:25, where he added "I told you" to help readers
      understand Jesus' enigmatic answer to the religious leaders' query
      about his identity. Thus, the expression "what I have been telling
      you from the beginning" became "I told you in the beginning that
      which I also speak to you."

      Comfort, P. W., & Barrett, D. P. (2001). The text of the earliest New
      Testament Greek manuscripts (382). Wheaton, Ill.: Tyndale House.

      It would thus seem that the accuracy of P66 is somewhat
      questionable. On the other hand, the author of the gospel does use
      hWS in some 30 verses. I have not checked all of these, but a quick
      survey shows that the comparative is used in a simile on occasion.

      … search for truth, hear truth,
      defend the truth till death.

      - Jan Hus

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, David Palmer <watutman@...>