Re: [textualcriticism] Re: Codex Sinaiticus goes online

  • dwashbur@nyx.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 24, 2008
      I keep getting "too many concurrent connections," so I haven't even gotten that far yet. The
      website may be up, but it is not ready for prime time yet.

      On 24 Jul 2008 at 12:52, Michael Marlowe wrote:

      > > http://www.codex-sinaiticus.net
      > >
      > > The website is online now!
      > >
      > > Unfortunately so far this is only some flash application and you cannot
      > > get any downloadable images.
      >
      > In other respects also, I see that the site is not really ready for us.
      > Clicking on "See the manuscript" from the English side brings me to a page
      > saying that the manuscript is "temporarily unavailable." After clicking on
      > the sentence "Find out more about Codex Sinaiticus" on the English index
      > page, I get a dialogue box asking me for my password! Trying from the German
      > side, I am able to get to the manuscript-viewing page, but it's too big for
      > my (average sized) computer screen, and is just lopped off at the right and
      > bottom. There are no scroll bars.
      >
      > Michael

      Dave Washburn
      "I'll hold the nail. And when I nod my head, you hit it with the hammer."
    • Patrick Gardella
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24, 2008
        I'm guessing here right now, but I'd say the server is getting
        hammered with all the media coverage recently. I was able to do
        everything I wanted early this am (6:30 EST), although it was slow.

        Try some off hours.

        Patrick

        On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Michael Marlowe <marlow@...> wrote:
        >> http://www.codex-sinaiticus.net
        >>
        >> The website is online now!
        >>
        >> Unfortunately so far this is only some flash application and you cannot
        >> get any downloadable images.
        >
        > In other respects also, I see that the site is not really ready for us.
        > Clicking on "See the manuscript" from the English side brings me to a page
        > saying that the manuscript is "temporarily unavailable." After clicking on
        > the sentence "Find out more about Codex Sinaiticus" on the English index
        > page, I get a dialogue box asking me for my password! Trying from the German
        > side, I am able to get to the manuscript-viewing page, but it's too big for
        > my (average sized) computer screen, and is just lopped off at the right and
        > bottom. There are no scroll bars.
        >
        > Michael

      • Patrick Gardella
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 24, 2008
          I just took a look at the way the network is configured and they are
          not using any content delivery network like Akamai for the site. So
          they are going to be limited by the bandwidth available at the hosting
          facility and or the server being used. There is only so much traffic
          it can handle, and those images are *large*.

          Everyone is intensely curious about this codex, even people who have
          no idea what it is. It's been all over the news, so it's very
          popular.

          Patrick