Amphoux on the Vaticanus umlauts

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2008
      Christian-B. Amphoux
      "Codex Vaticanus B: Les points diacritiques des marges de Marc"
      JTS 58 (2007) 440-466

      Why is it that generally the French have such a strange preference for the Latin ("Western") text?

      Amphoux proposes that that the umlauts note departures of Vaticanus from the Old Latin.
      He only cites some readings in Mark and admits that this deserves further study.

      But additionally he makes some rather bold statements:

      (My French is limited so I am not completely sure if I got him correctly.)

      If I understand him correctly he proposes that
      1. the codex is of Roman origin, or at least since ca. 350 in Rome or its environment.
      2. it was Athanasius who compared Vaticanus with the Old-Latin and inserted the umlauts as a recommendation.
      and
      3. Jerome utilized this codex and its umlauts to create the Vulgate.

      WOW!

      mailto:wie@...