Re: New TC intro book by David Parker

  • Marco Dorantes
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2008
      Hi Wieland Willker,

      Could you please clarify which is the Ehrman update of Metzger book?
      and why do you think Ehrman messed-up it?

      Thank you very much in advance for your comments.

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker" <wie@...>

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 13, 2008
        > Could you please clarify which is the Ehrman update of
        > Metzger book?

        It's the fourth edition of "The Text of the New Testament".
        Oxford University Press, ISBN: 019516122X

        > and why do you think Ehrman messed-up it?

        Ok,
        my general criticism is that here two people meet who have
        quite different views and approaches. This alone is messing
        up Metzger's book.
        It would have been better to leave Metzger's book alone and
        for Ehrman to write a new one.

        Some specific criticisms have already discussed on this
        list. Have e.g. a look at post numbers
        #1099, 1107
        and the following discussion.

        But I know Ehrman has an open ear to these criticisms and
        will think about them.
        I also sent Ehrman a list of errors in the MSS section. He
        replied that "they got lost in the rush of editing....".

        Let's hope that the next edition will get better and not so
        "rushed"!
        I offer volunteering for proof-reading!

        At the moment I am looking forward to David "even the
        variants are inspired" Parker's book.

        mailto:wie@...
        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
        Textcritical Commentary: