Re: Revelation of Gabriel

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2008
      The media hype was generated by Israel Knohl from the
      Jerusalem University.

      He has an Haaretz article here:
      http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=850657

      and gives a more sensational reading of the lines in
      question.
      He writes:

      "Line 80 begins with the phrase "Leshloshet yamin" ("In
      three days"), followed by another word that the editors
      could not read. Then comes the phrase "Ani Gavriel" ("I,
      Gabriel"). I believe that this "illegible" word is actually
      legible. It is the word "hayeh" (live), and that Gabriel the
      Archangel is giving orders to someone: "Leshloshet yamin
      hayeh" ("In three days, you shall live"). In other words, in
      three days, you shall return to life (compare "bedamaiyikh
      ha'ee" - translated as "in thy blood live" - in Ezekiel
      16:6). The word "haye" (live) is written here with alef.
      Similar orthography appears in the Dead Sea Scrolls, for
      example in the Isaiah scroll, where the word "yakeh" (30:31)
      is written with an alef after the yod.
      This is followed by traces of two more words. The letters
      are not easy to make out, but the first word seems to begin
      with a gimmel and vav. The next word is not clear either.
      The letter lamed is quite legible, and the letter before it
      seems to be an ayin. I believe the sentence can be
      reconstructed as follows: "Leshloshet yamin hayeh, ani
      Gavriel, gozer alekha" ("In three days, live, I, Gabriel,
      command you"). The archangel is ordering someone to rise
      from the dead within three days. To whom is he speaking?"

      mailto:wie@...
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      Textcritical Commentary:
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2008
        I have collected some relevant info on the Textual Criticism
        form here (with images):

        http://tinyurl.com/5zubjf

        mailto:wie@...
        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
        Textcritical Commentary:
      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2008
          > The media hype was generated by Israel Knohl from the
          > Jerusalem University.
          >
          > He has an Haaretz article here:
          > http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=850657
          >
          > and gives a more sensational reading of the lines in
          > question.
          > He writes:
          >
          > "Line 80 begins with the phrase "Leshloshet yamin" ("In
          > three days"), followed by another word that the editors
          > could not read. Then comes the phrase "Ani Gavriel" ("I,
          > Gabriel"). I believe that this "illegible" word is actually
          > legible. It is the word "hayeh" (live), and that Gabriel the
          > Archangel is giving orders to someone: "Leshloshet yamin
          > hayeh" ("In three days, you shall live"). In other words, in
          > three days, you shall return to life (compare "bedamaiyikh
          > ha'ee" - translated as "in thy blood live" - in Ezekiel
          > 16:6). The word "haye" (live) is written here with alef.
          > Similar orthography appears in the Dead Sea Scrolls, for
          > example in the Isaiah scroll, where the word "yakeh" (30:31)
          > is written with an alef after the yod.
          > This is followed by traces of two more words. The letters
          > are not easy to make out, but the first word seems to begin
          > with a gimmel and vav. The next word is not clear either.
          > The letter lamed is quite legible, and the letter before it
          > seems to be an ayin. I believe the sentence can be
          > reconstructed as follows: "Leshloshet yamin hayeh, ani
          > Gavriel, gozer alekha" ("In three days, live, I, Gabriel,
          > command you"). The archangel is ordering someone to rise
          > from the dead within three days. To whom is he speaking?"
          >

          > Best wishes
          > Wieland
          > <><

          It is important to note that my interpretation is based solely on the Hebrew
          transliteration that depicts a lacuna after the het but Prof. Knohl can
          actually see the inscription and examine that lacuna under a glass...and he
          is one of the best. I am but an amateur who needs convincing this
          inscription refers to a messiah.

          Regards

          Jack
        • Tommy Wasserman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2008
            Dear list,

            in Bob Waltz' Encyclopedia of New Testament Textual Criticism I noted a
            principle of internal criticism formulated by H. von Soden, that "the
            reading which does not match Matthew is best"
            (http://www.skypoint.com/members/waltzmn/CanonsOfCrit.html).

            However, there is no reference. I suppose it is stated somewhere in von
            Soden's Die Schriften des Neuen Testaments in ihrer ältesten
            erreichbaren Textgestalt hergestellt auf Grund ihrer Textgeschichte,
            but where? I am grateful if anyone can tell me.

            Tommy Wasserman
            Örebro Theological Seminary
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9, 2008
              > but where?

              p. 1424

              http://rosetta.reltech.org/cgi-bin/Ebind2html/TC/vonSodenSNT
              v1?seq=1437

              mailto:wie@...
              http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
              Textcritical Commentary:
            • George F Somsel
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 9, 2008

                I'm not (at the moment) acquainted with that statement, but in _The History of Early Christian Literature:  The Writings of the New Testament_ he states,

                That he [scil Mark] has incorporated so few of the discourses of our Lord

                into his work is evidently due to the fact that he knew of the existence of

                St. Matthew's composition.

                george
                gfsomsel

                … search for truth, hear truth,