New TC intro book by David Parker

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2008
      Perhaps this turns out to be better compared to the
      messed-up Ehrman update of the Metzger book?
      The Aland book is also not up-to-date anymore.

      "An Introduction to the New Testament Manuscripts and their
      Texts"
      D. C. Parker
      398 pages
      University of Birmingham
      Hardback - also available in Paperback
      ISBN 0521719895

      Not yet published - available from July 2008
      £50.00 (Paperback: £18.99)

      http://tinyurl.com/6mkcl3

      Blurb:
      This is the first major English-language introduction to the
      earliest manuscripts of the New Testament to appear for over
      40 years. An essential handbook for scholars and students,
      it provides a thorough grounding in the study and editing of
      the New Testament text combined with an emphasis on the
      dramatic current developments in the field. Covering ancient
      sources in Greek, Syriac, Latin and Coptic, it
      - describes the manuscripts and other ancient textual
      evidence, and the tools needed to study them
      - deals with textual criticism and textual editing,
      describing modern approaches and techniques, with guidance
      on the use of editions
      - introduces the witnesses and textual study of each of the
      main sections of the New Testament, discussing typical
      variants and their significance. A companion website with
      full-colour images provides generous amounts of illustrative
      material, bringing the subject alive for the reader.

      - Will provide an excellent guide for those approaching New
      Testament textual criticism for the first time
      - Includes practical advice on research resources and
      techniques
      - Accompanied by a website with colour images and guidance
      to selected features

      Contents:
      Introduction;
      Part I. The Documents:
      1. The study of the manuscripts;
      2. Practical skills in the study of manuscripts;
      3. Other types of witness;

      Part II. Textual Criticism and Editions:
      4. Manuscripts as tradents of the text;
      5. Textual criticism;
      6. Editions and how to use them;

      Part III. The Sections of the New Testament:
      7. Revelation;
      8. Paul;
      9. Acts and the Catholic Epistles;
      10. The gospels;
      11. Final thoughts;
      Glossary; Indexes.

      mailto:wie@...
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      Textcritical Commentary:
    • Patrick Gardella
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2008
        I just pre-ordered this from Amazon, and they are indicating a
        September 4th delivery date. So it looks like the book will come to
        the US a few weeks after its release in the UK.

        Patrick

        On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Wieland Willker <wie@...> wrote:
        > Perhaps this turns out to be better compared to the
        > messed-up Ehrman update of the Metzger book?
        > The Aland book is also not up-to-date anymore.
        >
        > "An Introduction to the New Testament Manuscripts and their
        > Texts"
        > D. C. Parker
        > 398 pages
        > University of Birmingham
        > Hardback - also available in Paperback
        > ISBN 0521719895
        >
        > Not yet published - available from July 2008
        > £50.00 (Paperback: £18.99)
      • James Spinti
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2008
          That is correct. The US date is September; you can take the url that shows up in your browser and substitute /us/ for the /uk/ and it will take you to the correct page for the US.

          By the way, there are alternatives to amazon--and some of them actually know and care about textual criticism and related disciplines :)

          HTH,
          James

          ________________________________
          James Spinti
          Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
          jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
          Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
          Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
          I just pre-ordered this from Amazon, and they are indicating a
          September 4th delivery date. So it looks like the book will come to
          the US a few weeks after its release in the UK.

          Patrick

          On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Wieland Willker <wie@...> wrote:
          > Perhaps this turns out to be better compared to the
          > messed-up Ehrman update of the Metzger book?
          > The Aland book is also not up-to-date anymore.
          >
          > "An Introduction to the New Testament Manuscripts and their
          > Texts"
          > D. C. Parker
          > 398 pages
          > University of Birmingham
          > Hardback - also available in Paperback
          > ISBN 0521719895
          >
          > Not yet published - available from July 2008
          > £50.00 (Paperback: £18.99)

        • Marco Dorantes
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2008
            Hi Wieland Willker,

            Could you please clarify which is the Ehrman update of Metzger book?
            and why do you think Ehrman messed-up it?

            Thank you very much in advance for your comments.

            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker" <wie@...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 13, 2008
              > Could you please clarify which is the Ehrman update of
              > Metzger book?

              It's the fourth edition of "The Text of the New Testament".
              Oxford University Press, ISBN: 019516122X

              > and why do you think Ehrman messed-up it?

              Ok,
              my general criticism is that here two people meet who have
              quite different views and approaches. This alone is messing
              up Metzger's book.
              It would have been better to leave Metzger's book alone and
              for Ehrman to write a new one.

              Some specific criticisms have already discussed on this
              list. Have e.g. a look at post numbers
              #1099, 1107
              and the following discussion.

              But I know Ehrman has an open ear to these criticisms and
              will think about them.
              I also sent Ehrman a list of errors in the MSS section. He
              replied that "they got lost in the rush of editing....".

              Let's hope that the next edition will get better and not so
              "rushed"!
              I offer volunteering for proof-reading!

              At the moment I am looking forward to David "even the
              variants are inspired" Parker's book.

              mailto:wie@...
              http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
              Textcritical Commentary: