Re: [textualcriticism] FW: Re: 424c Request for info.

  • Peter Head
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2005
      Thanks Wieland,

      >2. J.N. Birdsall, A Study of MS. 1739 and its Relationship to MSS. 6,
      >424, 1908, and M (unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, 1959)

      Birdsall does have a chapter on 424, He doesn't think that the text of 424
      is standard Byz, he has a collation of significant passages (pp. 88-92). He
      thinks there were 2 correctors, although both correctors/corrections share
      the same textual character. This corrected ms is then placed in relation to
      the other witnesses in the family.
      Birdsall is very important, but he doesn't study 424 (and 424c) on
      its/their own terms. And he doesn't provide all the evidence (for a full
      collation he refers to Alter, 1786 = Novum Testamentum ad codicem
      Vindobonensem Graece expressum: Varietatem lectionis addidit Franciscus
      Carolus Alter, Vienna, 1786). I doubt if that is going to answer questions
      about the corrections (I'll have a look though).

      >3. Have also a look here:
      >http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn/Manuscripts1-500.html#m424

      Helpful summary, with some further clues, although not properly documented.
      Partly follows Birdsall, partly Aland (e.g. 3 correctors); but not based on
      study of the manuscript.

      Must be some unpublished dissertation out there somewhere surely.

      Pete

      (don't call me Shirley)

      Peter M. Head, PhD
      Tyndale House
      36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
      566607
      Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608