FW: Re: 424c Request for info.

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2005
      1. WH note this minuscule in § 212: "very ancient readings", "some dist.
      Western", "similar to M2 (= 0121?) in Paul".

      2. J.N. Birdsall, A Study of MS. 1739 and its Relationship to MSS. 6,
      424, 1908, and M (unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, 1959)

      3. Have also a look here:
      http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn/Manuscripts1-500.html#m424

      Label: "deserves further study"

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
    • Peter Head
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 2005
        Thanks Wieland,

        >2. J.N. Birdsall, A Study of MS. 1739 and its Relationship to MSS. 6,
        >424, 1908, and M (unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, 1959)

        Birdsall does have a chapter on 424, He doesn't think that the text of 424
        is standard Byz, he has a collation of significant passages (pp. 88-92). He
        thinks there were 2 correctors, although both correctors/corrections share
        the same textual character. This corrected ms is then placed in relation to
        the other witnesses in the family.
        Birdsall is very important, but he doesn't study 424 (and 424c) on
        its/their own terms. And he doesn't provide all the evidence (for a full
        collation he refers to Alter, 1786 = Novum Testamentum ad codicem
        Vindobonensem Graece expressum: Varietatem lectionis addidit Franciscus
        Carolus Alter, Vienna, 1786). I doubt if that is going to answer questions
        about the corrections (I'll have a look though).

        >3. Have also a look here:
        >http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn/Manuscripts1-500.html#m424

        Helpful summary, with some further clues, although not properly documented.
        Partly follows Birdsall, partly Aland (e.g. 3 correctors); but not based on
        study of the manuscript.

        Must be some unpublished dissertation out there somewhere surely.

        Pete

        (don't call me Shirley)

        Peter M. Head, PhD
        Tyndale House
        36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
        566607
        Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608