Re: New NA and UBS - Wish List

  • James Snapp, Jr.
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21, 2008
      Dear Wieland,

      >> "Is this [Clement-to-Theodore] used somewhere?" <<

      After checking ... no. I must've been thinking of something else.
      Well, this wish should be easily granted, eh.

      >> (About indicating cancel-sheets: "You are probably thinking of 01
      at the end of Mk? How would you indicate that?" <<

      Yes; there and at the end of I Thess. and in Matthew. I'd underline
      the siglum, or add a superscripted letter or letters (maybe "cs" to
      signify "cancel-sheet"). I wouldn't use "suppl" because replacement-
      pages introduced during the MS's production should be presented in a
      way different from pages introduced subsequent to the MS's

      >> {About indicating the .. in B) "So one has to label the complete
      line of B in some not too obstructive way in NA. How to do this?" <<

      One way would be to create a symbol that means "Umlaut-in-B" and
      include it, as a witness listed separately from the "B" symbol, at
      every variant noted where the text occurs in a line in B parallel to
      an umlaut. And add a note in the Introduction stating that the
      Umlaut-in-B symbol indicates a possible variant in a supplemental
      exemplar used by the scribe of B.

      Another way woud be to create two symbols to place in the text,
      rather than in the apparatus: one that shows where an umlauted line
      begins, and another to show where the same umlauted line (or the last
      word on the line) ends. (An advantage of this would be that it would
      be less cumbersome to indicate the presence of an umlaut where no
      known variant exists.)

      >> (About printing N.S. and noting where a witness has spelled out a
      N.S. that is normally contracted) "Is this really needed?" <<

      Yes, if the N-A's compilers wish to tell readers what the MSS
      actually contain, instead of what they mean. (While I'm thinking
      about it, gematria-numerals and written-out quantities should
      probably also be differentiated, where other variants exist.)

      "What would this be good for?"

      It would more readily convey to the reader the mechanisms by which
      nomina sacra could be confused with other nomina sacra, or with short
      syllables -- at Mt. 27:16-17, Jn. 1:18, Acts 20:28, James 1:12, Jude
      v. 5, I Tim. 3:16, etc. Noting where a N.S. is spelled out could
      help indicate scribes' interpretation of the passage, which could
      suggest some variant-causing mechanisms.

      "Also define "all Greek witnesses.""

      All the (undamaged) Greek mss that contain a contracted N.S. where no
      Greek ms contains a non-contracted N.S., at a particular point in the

      Minister, Curtisville Christian Church
      Tipton, Indiana (USA)