Quotes by Church Fathers

  • Eddie Mishoe
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2008
      It is generally printed that the quotes by the Church
      Fathers is around the 1 million mark. Does this mean
      that together they quote 1 million 'verses,' or does
      it mean there are 1 million quotes of various passages
      (perhaps multiple passages per quote)? If a Church
      Father quoted Matthew's Lord's Prayer, would that be 1
      quote, or would that be counted as 5 (for the number
      of verses)?

      Are there any Internet resources on the breakdown of
      Church Fathers' quotes, by date, numbers, etc.?

      Eddie Mishoe
      Pastor

    • Eddie Mishoe
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2008
        Just wanted to give everybody one last opportunity to
        weigh in on this. Any help would be appreciated.

        --- Eddie Mishoe <edmishoe@...> wrote:

        > It is generally printed that the quotes by the
        > Church
        > Fathers are around the 1 million mark. Does this
        mean
        > that together they quote 1 million 'verses,' or does
        > it mean there are 1 million quotes of various
        > passages
        > (perhaps multiple passages per quote)? If a Church
        > Father quoted Matthew's Lord's Prayer, would that be
        > 1
        > quote, or would that be counted as 5 (for the number
        > of verses)?
        >
        > Are there any Internet resources on the breakdown of
        > Church Fathers' quotes, by date, numbers, etc.?

        And I'll add to this: Are there any resources on the
        breakdown of Church Fathers' quotes, not just on the
        Internet.

        Eddie Mishoe
        Pastor

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Daniel Buck
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 11, 2008
          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Mishoe <edmishoe@...>
          wrote:
          >> Are there any resources on the breakdown of Church Fathers' quotes,
          not just on the Internet.<<

          The sine qua non resource on Patristic references is the 30-volume work
          by John Burgon. Unlike the Fathers themselves, it still exists only in
          manuscript, in the British Library. Publishing it to the internet
          should be a good project for an upper-level Early Church History class
          somewhere.

          Daniel Buck
        • George F Somsel
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 13, 2008
            You might try

            This may also become available as an electronic book if enough subscribe to it

            http://logos.com/communitypricing/details/3047

            george
            gfsomsel

            … search for truth, hear truth,
            defend the truth till death.

            - Jan Hus
            _________

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 13, 2008

              _The New Testament in the Apostolic Fathers_ is also available in Google Books.

              http://tinyurl.com/45w2vm

              george
              gfsomsel

              … search for truth, hear truth,