[textualcriticism] Synopsis Scripturae Sacrae

  • Schmuel
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
      Hi Folks,

         Good questions, Michael.

         You will find that Charles Forster has a fascinating section on the
      authorship of the Synopsis Scripturae Sacrae in :

      http://books.google.com/books?id=LJNFAgAACAAJ
      A New Plea for the Authenticity of the Text of the Three Heavenly Witnesses
      by Charles Forster (1867) p. 51-57

       Forster discusses in general and in specifics, I will give one quote.

       "I see the hand of Athanasius in the style .." p. 55

          We should understand that there is an ultra-dubious skeptical 'methodology'
      that even tries to make Paul not the author of the Pastorals and Peter not the
      author of 2nd Peter.  This type of 'science' spills over into the early church writings
      and a first-person testimony can be considered of far less significance than vague,
      difficult, convoluted stylistic arguments.  You might find the study of Jerome's
      Prologue to the Canonical Epistles to be also an interesting study in this regard.

      Shalom,
      Steven Avery
      Queens, NY

      Michael Marlowe wrote:
      Hello everyone.
      In preparing a translation of the canon list in the patristic work /Synopsis
      Scripturae Sacrae/ (formerly attributed to Athanasius but now said to be of
      the sixth century), I have noticed some interesting readings in the
      scripture quotations. For example, the Synopsis quotes 2 Pet 1:1 with  "our
      Lord Jesus Christ" instead of "our God and Savior Jesus Christ." Because the
      author usually quotes exactly, I think these quotations may be of interest
      to textual critics, though of course they cannot have much weight in
      determining the original text. I am mainly interested in the possibility of
      using these readings as evidence for the work's provenance and date. Is
      anyone here aware of a recent article on this patristic work? Have its
      quotations ever been analyzed or employed by textual critics? I find no
      reference to its readings in Nestle-Aland, UBS, SQE, etc.  The Greek text I
      am working with right now is from Migne's PG, vol. 28.