Re: [textualcriticism] Re: symbols in the apparatus [was: Russian textual tradition variants in Jude]

  • Tommy Wasserman
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 31, 1969
      Dear Daniel,

      The extract below (from my edition, The Epistle of Jude: Its Text and
      Transmission, p. 130-131) explains some of the symbols you ask for
      (note the slightly different definition of Z in my edition). I hope the
      text comes out okay.

      With regards

      Tommy Wasserman

      After a Manuscript Number
      A alternative reading (coordinate with T)
      C correction (coordinate with *)
      f defective form (“Fehler”) which unequivocally supports the reading
      indicated. All errors are recorded in the apparatus, or in a list of
      errors in the Greek MSS. Exception has been made for the most frequent
      kind of vowel interchange (αι-ε, ε-η, ε-ι-η-υ-ι-οι, ο-ω).
      (*f) an originally defective form that was corrected (the defective
      form is recorded in a subsequent list regarding errors)
      (Cf) an originally correct form of a reading that was erroneously
      corrected (the defective form is recorded in the errata list of Greek
      MSS)
      K a reading in the commentary which differs from the lemma
      S supplement (only 1831S; see list of MSS)
      T the reading of the text as distinguished from an alternative reading
      (A), a reading in a commentary (K) or an additional reading (Z)
      V ut videtur (apparently). In some cases, the symbol is used when
      there are lacunae within a unit; the reader should always consult the
      list of lacunae to see if this is the case. The symbol is also used
      when one or more letters are uncertain, although it is evident which
      reading is supported.
      Z an additional reading, interlinear or marginal, that is either a
      correction or an alternative reading. It should be noted that the
      definition of Z in this edition is more precise than in the ECM: in
      order to avoid a subjective element of interpretation, I classify all
      interlinear and marginal readings as additional readings, unless the
      reading of the text is unequivocally erroneous, or if there is a sign
      known to be used for corrections. (In the list of differences between
      this edition and the ECM, all cases of different interpretation are
      noted.)
      * the reading of the first hand (coordinate with C)
      /2 lessons from Jude occur in lectionaries of the synaxarion in week 36
      of the ecclesiastical (movable) year. In a few lectionaries, L427,
      L585, L1196, L1281, there are lessons from Jude in the second part of
      the lectionary, the menologion with fixed feasts following the civil
      year (often on June 19). These latter menologion-lessons have been
      cited consistently under the sigla L427/2, L585/2, L1196/2, and
      L1281/2. (In the ECM, two lessons within the same lectionary are cited
      separately only when they differ.)