Re: Synopsis Scripturae Sacrae

  • mjriii2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4 12:21 PM
      Dear Michael,

      If they haven't or even if they have, we'll be looking forward to
      your remarks.

      Cheers,

      Malcolm
      ______________

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Marlowe"
      <marlow@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone.
      >
      > In preparing a translation of the canon list in the patristic
      work /Synopsis
      > Scripturae Sacrae/ (formerly attributed to Athanasius but now said
      to be of
      > the sixth century), I have noticed some interesting readings in the
      > scripture quotations. For example, the Synopsis quotes 2 Pet 1:1
      with "our
      > Lord Jesus Christ" instead of "our God and Savior Jesus Christ."
      Because the
      > author usually quotes exactly, I think these quotations may be of
      interest
      > to textual critics, though of course they cannot have much weight
      in
      > determining the original text. I am mainly interested in the
      possibility of
      > using these readings as evidence for the work's provenance and
      date. Is
      > anyone here aware of a recent article on this patristic work? Have
      its
      > quotations ever been analyzed or employed by textual critics? I
      find no
      > reference to its readings in Nestle-Aland, UBS, SQE, etc. The
      Greek text I
      > am working with right now is from Migne's PG, vol. 28.
      >
      > Michael Marlowe

    • Schmuel
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5 4:59 PM
        Hi Folks,

           Good questions, Michael.

           You will find that Charles Forster has a fascinating section on the
        authorship of the Synopsis Scripturae Sacrae in :

        http://books.google.com/books?id=LJNFAgAACAAJ
        A New Plea for the Authenticity of the Text of the Three Heavenly Witnesses
        by Charles Forster (1867) p. 51-57

         Forster discusses in general and in specifics, I will give one quote.

         "I see the hand of Athanasius in the style .." p. 55

            We should understand that there is an ultra-dubious skeptical 'methodology'
        that even tries to make Paul not the author of the Pastorals and Peter not the
        author of 2nd Peter.  This type of 'science' spills over into the early church writings
        and a first-person testimony can be considered of far less significance than vague,
        difficult, convoluted stylistic arguments.  You might find the study of Jerome's
        Prologue to the Canonical Epistles to be also an interesting study in this regard.

        Shalom,
        Steven Avery
        Queens, NY