Synopsis Scripturae Sacrae

  • Michael Marlowe
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2008
      Hello everyone.

      In preparing a translation of the canon list in the patristic work /Synopsis
      Scripturae Sacrae/ (formerly attributed to Athanasius but now said to be of
      the sixth century), I have noticed some interesting readings in the
      scripture quotations. For example, the Synopsis quotes 2 Pet 1:1 with "our
      Lord Jesus Christ" instead of "our God and Savior Jesus Christ." Because the
      author usually quotes exactly, I think these quotations may be of interest
      to textual critics, though of course they cannot have much weight in
      determining the original text. I am mainly interested in the possibility of
      using these readings as evidence for the work's provenance and date. Is
      anyone here aware of a recent article on this patristic work? Have its
      quotations ever been analyzed or employed by textual critics? I find no
      reference to its readings in Nestle-Aland, UBS, SQE, etc. The Greek text I
      am working with right now is from Migne's PG, vol. 28.

      Michael Marlowe
    • mjriii2003
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2008
        Dear Michael,

        If they haven't or even if they have, we'll be looking forward to
        your remarks.

        Cheers,

        Malcolm
        ______________

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Marlowe"
        <marlow@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone.
        >
        > In preparing a translation of the canon list in the patristic
        work /Synopsis
        > Scripturae Sacrae/ (formerly attributed to Athanasius but now said
        to be of
        > the sixth century), I have noticed some interesting readings in the
        > scripture quotations. For example, the Synopsis quotes 2 Pet 1:1
        with "our
        > Lord Jesus Christ" instead of "our God and Savior Jesus Christ."
        Because the
        > author usually quotes exactly, I think these quotations may be of
        interest
        > to textual critics, though of course they cannot have much weight
        in
        > determining the original text. I am mainly interested in the
        possibility of
        > using these readings as evidence for the work's provenance and
        date. Is
        > anyone here aware of a recent article on this patristic work? Have
        its
        > quotations ever been analyzed or employed by textual critics? I
        find no
        > reference to its readings in Nestle-Aland, UBS, SQE, etc. The
        Greek text I
        > am working with right now is from Migne's PG, vol. 28.
        >
        > Michael Marlowe

      • Schmuel
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2008
          Hi Folks,

             Good questions, Michael.

             You will find that Charles Forster has a fascinating section on the
          authorship of the Synopsis Scripturae Sacrae in :

          http://books.google.com/books?id=LJNFAgAACAAJ
          A New Plea for the Authenticity of the Text of the Three Heavenly Witnesses
          by Charles Forster (1867) p. 51-57

           Forster discusses in general and in specifics, I will give one quote.

           "I see the hand of Athanasius in the style .." p. 55

              We should understand that there is an ultra-dubious skeptical 'methodology'
          that even tries to make Paul not the author of the Pastorals and Peter not the
          author of 2nd Peter.  This type of 'science' spills over into the early church writings
          and a first-person testimony can be considered of far less significance than vague,
          difficult, convoluted stylistic arguments.  You might find the study of Jerome's
          Prologue to the Canonical Epistles to be also an interesting study in this regard.

          Shalom,
          Steven Avery
          Queens, NY