Re: [textualcriticism] Re: What is the Codex Barococcio?

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 29, 2008
      From: "Andrew" <andrew.bernhard@...>
      To: <textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 9:37 AM
      Subject: [textualcriticism] Re: What is the Codex Barococcio?

      > Hi Jay-
      >
      > I must say, I once studied the ancient lists of the canon and do not
      > recall coming across any "Codex Barococcio." A canon list with 64 of
      > the 66 books of the Bible from A.D. 206 seems remarkably early. I would
      > think it would have stood out in your mind.
      >
      > I'd definitely be interested in learning more. How is it dated to such
      > a precise year? Which two books are omitted? And most importantly, what
      > modern sources are you reading that refer to this ancient codex (you
      > say you see it listed in many places)?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Andrew

      I will tell you everything I know

      The only reference I could find in my library, surprisingly, is in Brooke
      Foss Westcott 6th edition "A General Survey of the History of theCanon of
      the New Testament," Baker Book House/MacMillan. The first edition was in
      1855 and the 6th edition 1889, mine reprinted in1980.

      P 558-559 Appendic D lists:

      Bibl. Bodl. (must be in the Bodleian Library) Codd. Baroc. 206 Hody, de
      Textibus, p.649 (Cf. cotelier, Patres Apost. 1. 197; Montfaucon, Bibl.
      Coislin 193 f. Comp. B. M. Add. 17, 469, saec. xiv, (Dr. C. R. Gregory).

      Dr. Humphrey Hody wrote De Bibliorum Textibus Originalibus in 1704 and
      Bernardde Montfaucon is mentioned here as preparing a catalogue of Greek
      manuscripts:

      Seguier was a man of great learning, and throughout his life a patron of
      literature. In December 1642 he succeeded Richelieu as official "protector"
      of the Academy, which from that time until his death held its sessions in
      his house. His library was one of the most valuable of his time, only
      second, perhaps, to the royal collection. It contained no less than 4000
      MSS. in various languages, the most important section of them being the
      Greek MSS. A catalogue was drawn up in Latin and in French (1685-1686) by
      the 1 Mme de Coislin became a widow, and in 1644 married clandestinely Guy
      de Laval, chevalier de Bois-dauphin, afterwards marquis of Laval.
      She afterwards contracted a second marriage with Henri de Bourbon, duke of
      Verneuil, a grandson of Henry IV.
      duc de Coislin. The chancellor's great-grandson, Henri Charles du Cambout de
      Coislin, bishop of Metz, commissioned Bernard de Montfaucon, a learned
      Benedictine of St Maur, to prepare a catalogue of the Greek MSS. with
      commentaries. This work was published in folio 1715, as Bibliotheca
      Coisliniana, ohm Segueriana. . The greater part of the printed books were
      destroyed by fire, in the abbey of St Germain-des-Pres, in 1794 See F.
      Duchesne, Hist. des chanceliers de France (fol. 1680); for the affair of Val
      de Grace, Catalogue de documents historiques.. relatifs au regne de Louis
      XIII (Paris, 1847); also R. Kerviler, Le Chancelier P. Seguier (Paris,
      1874). Great part of his correspondence is preserved in the Bibliotheque
      Nationale, Paris.

      Montfaucon is described:

      BERNARD DE MONTFAUCON (1655-1741), French scholar and critic, was born at
      the château of Soulage (now Soulatge, in the department of Aube, France), on
      the 13th of January 1655. Belonging to a noble and ancient line, and
      destined for the army, he passed most of his time in the library of the
      family castle of Roquetaillade, devouring books in different languages and
      on almost every variety of subject. In 1672 he entered the army, and in the
      two following years served in Germany under Turenne. But ill-health and the
      death of his parents brought him back to his studious life, and in 1675 he
      entered the cloister of the Congregation of St Maur at La Daurade, Toulouse,
      taking the vows there on the 13th of May 1676. He lived successively at
      various abbeys - at Soreze, where he specially studied Greek and examined
      the numerous MSS. of the convent library, at La Grasse, and at Bordeaux; and
      in 1687 he was called to Paris, to collaborate in an edition of Athanasius
      and Chrysostom, contemplated by the Congregation. From 1698 to 1701 he lived
      in Italy, chiefly in Rome in order to consult certain manuscripts, those
      available in Paris being insufficient for the edition of Chrysostom. After a
      stay of three years he returned to Paris, and retired to the abbey of
      St-Germain-des-Pres, devoting himself to the study of Greek and Latin MSS.
      and to the great works by which he established his reputation. He died
      suddenly on the 21st of December 1741. His first publication, in which he
      was assisted by Jacques Loppin and Antoine Pouget, was the first volume of a
      nevercompleted series of previously unpublished Analecta graeca (1688). In
      1690 appeared La Verite de l'histoire de Judith. Athanasii opera omnia,
      still the best edition of that Father, was issued with a biography and
      critical notes in 1698. In connexion with this may be mentioned Collectio
      nova patrum et scriptorum graecorum (1706), containing some newly discovered
      works of Athanasius, Eusebius of Caesarea, and the Topographia christiana of
      Cosmas Indicopleustes. His copious Diarium italicum (1702) gives an account
      of the principal libraries of Italy and their contents; this work has been
      translated into English by J. Henley (1725). The Palaeographia graeca
      (1708), illustrating the whole history of Greek writing and the variations
      of the characters, has not yet been superseded; in its own field it is as
      original as the De re diplomatica of Mabillon. In 1713 Montfaucon edited
      Hexaplorum origenis quae supersunt, not superseded till the work of Field
      (1875); and between 1718 and 1738 he completed his edition of Joannis
      Chrysostomi opera omnia. His L'Antiquite expliquee et representee en figures
      (1719) laid the foundation of archaeological knowledge. It was continued by
      him in Les Monumens de la monarchie francoise, 17291 733 . Both these works
      have been translated into English. Montfaucon's Bibliotheca bibliothecarum
      manuscriptarum (1739) is a list of the works in MS. in the libraries with
      which he was acquainted.
      A list of his works will be found in Bibliotheque des ecrivains de la
      congregation de Saint-Maur, by C. de Lame (1882), and in the article in the
      Nouvelle biographie generale, which gives an account of their scope and
      character; see also Emmanuel de Broglie, La Societe de l'abboye de
      St-Germain-des-Pres au 18 e siecle: Bernard de Montfaucon et les bernardins
      (2 vols., Paris, 1891.

      Codex Barococcio must, therefore have been copied in Montfaucon's
      Bibliotheca Coisliniana of 1715 from the Coislin library and I assume that
      is in the Bodleian and the original destroyed in the fire. I have the
      Barococcio Canon in Greek in Westcott which does show all but Revelation and
      Esther.

      One would need to see the Bibliotheca Coisliniana to determine if 206 is a
      date or an accession number for Montfaucon or Hody or if C. Barococcio is in
      the Bodleian having escaped the fire. It does seem as though the Barococcio
      is used frequently for apologist writers who just repeat the same
      information without investigating the primary source. This is why we see
      much on Muratorian and little on Barococcio, IMO.

      Jack Kilmon
      San Antonio, TX
    • Kevin W. Woodruff
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 29, 2008
        Andrew and Jay:

        It is not Barococcio, it is one of the Codices Barocciani, number 206.
        According to Westcott in his A General Survey of the History of the Canon of the New Testament, page 567, it is located in the Bodelian Library at Oxford England

        In the work Catalogi codicum manuscriptorum bibliothecae Bodleianae,
        By Bodleian Library, Henry Octavius Coxe
        Published 1853, volume 1 on page 366, the canon is listed under the Codices Barocciani, catalog number 206, and is the one numbered with a Greek theta.

        Apparently, someone got sloppy in their research and took the catalog number for the year of writing. So actually there are a whole series of Codices Barocciani, of which the canon is number 206.

        The best I can figure, this canon was written in the 7th century around 692 AD.

        I hope this helps

        Kevin

        Andrew <andrew.bernhard@...> wrote:
        Hi Jay-

        I must say, I once studied the ancient lists of the canon and do not
        recall coming across any "Codex Barococcio." A canon list with 64 of
        the 66 books of the Bible from A.D. 206 seems remarkably early. I would
        think it would have stood out in your mind.

        I'd definitely be interested in learning more. How is it dated to such
        a precise year? Which two books are omitted? And most importantly, what
        modern sources are you reading that refer to this ancient codex (you
        say you see it listed in many places)?

        Thanks,
        Andrew

        > > WHAT EXACTLY IS THE BAROCOCCIO CODEX?
        > >
        > > I see it listed in many places. But I don't see as much information
        > on
        > > it as the Muratorian Canon. Why?

        Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
        Cierpke@... http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm
      • Jay Rogers
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 29, 2008
          Re: What is the Codex Barococcio?
          Thanks, that's incredibly important. Thanks.

          It's the usual thing where an error gets published in one  book and then gets copied everywhere.

          If you Google "barococcio" you get hundreds of pages with the information that this is "c. 206" -- but no description of what it actually is.

          Ironically, a search for Codices Barocciani, yields far fewer results, most t\in Italians an German.

          Something seemed wrong when I read that a "codex" was from 206 A.D. I was wondering it this was a canonical list from a non-extant codex similar to the Muratorian canon. Is there any chance that the original manuscript that the Codex Barocciani draws from goes back to the third century?

          - Jay

          Andrew, Eric and Jay:

          It is not Barococcio, it is one of the Codices Barocciani, catalog number 206.
          According to Westcott in his A General Survey of the History of the Canon of the New Testament, page 567, it is located in the Bodelian Library at Oxford, England

          In the work Catalogi codicum manuscriptorum bibliothecae Bodleianae,
          By Bodleian Library, Henry Octavius Coxe
          published in 1853, volume 1 on page 366, the canon is listed under the Codices Barocciani, catalog number 206, and is the one numbered with a Greek theta.

          Apparently, someone got sloppy in their research and took the catalog number that Westcott listed for the year of writing. So actually there are a whole series of Codices Barocciani, of which the canon is catalog number 206.

          The best I can figure, this canon was written in the 7th century around 692 AD.

          I hope this helps,

          Kevin
          Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
          Cierpke@... http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm

          Andrew <andrew.bernhard@...> wrote:
          Hi Jay-

          I must say, I once studied the ancient lists of the canon and do not
          recall coming across any "Codex Barococcio." A canon list with 64 of
          the 66 books of the Bible from A.D. 206 seems remarkably early. I would
          think it would have stood out in your mind.

          I'd definitely be interested in learning more. How is it dated to such
          a precise year? Which two books are omitted? And most importantly, what
          modern sources are you reading that refer to this ancient codex (you
          say you see it listed in many places)?

          Thanks,
          Andrew

          > > WHAT EXACTLY IS THE BAROCOCCIO CODEX?
          > >
          > > I see it listed in many places. But I don't see as much information
          > on
          > > it as the Muratorian Canon. Why?

          Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
          Cierpke@... http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm

          Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
          Cierpke@... http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm

        • George F Somsel
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
            [206]. saec. XV, 38.3 × 27, membr (f. 1–190. 347–431; chart 191–346), foll. 431, col. 1: V. T. Evv Act Cath Apoc Paul (Phm Hebr). Olim Bessarionis “locus 1” ut Evv 205 “locus 41”. Ex antecedente codice transcriptus est, ideoque nullum numerum sibi vindicat. Birch. et Burgon. perl. Holmesii 122 in V. T. Vidi 5 Mart 1886.]

            Tischendorf, C. v., Gregory, C. R., & Abbot, E. (1894; 2003). Novum Testamentum Graece: Prolegomena (3:510). Libronix.

            george
            gfsomsel

            … search for truth, hear truth,
            defend the truth till death.

            - Jan Hus
            _________

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 4, 2008
              First, I want to say that I am very impressed that someone was able to
              track this down. It's question that I've asked of various people for
              about a year now. The best answer I've had is literally, "I've never
              heard of it."

              If there is a Codex Barocci with a canonical list with every book but
              Esther and Revelation, then this must be it.

              I've also been able to track down the origin to Norman L. Geisler and
              William E. Nix. A General Introduction to the Bible. Chicago: Moody
              Press, 1986). p. 294.

              I'll have to see the page from that book to see if they cite their source.

              Someone probably read somewhere that "Codex Barocci (206)" contained
              every book in the Canon except Esther and Revelation.

              And eventually it got morphed into "Barococcio (ca. 206)"

              But why the name change?

              The Barocci Codices actually come from the mathematician Francesco
              Barozzi (Barocci) who kept the

              There is also an Italian Renaissance painter whose name is spelled
              "Frederigo Barocci or sometimes Barocccio.

              The extra syllable is probably a typo. (That "scribal error"
              explanation strikes again!)

              I too thought A.D. 206 was suspicious. "Why the odd number? Shouldn't
              it be c. 200 or 210?" Or so I thought.

              If it's ninth century it does nothing to bolster the argument for
              theearly dates for the acceptance of the canon -- except as an example
              of how some books were missing (accidently?) from later canons and
              canonical lists long after the canon was universally agreed upon.

              I did have another idea and maybe someone could help answer this.

              I noticed in looking at the MSS Barocci that many of these codices
              contain the church fathers. I am wondering if the original citation
              meant to say that a canonical list from 200 A.D. from one of the
              Barococci codices. What do you think?

              http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/dept/scwmss/wmss/online/medieval/barocci/barocci.html

              Anyway, the reason for my question is this.

              I recently produced a DVD called The Real Jesus: A Defense of the
              Historicity and Divinity of Christ --

              http://therealjesus.com

              Some clips are at: http://youtube.com/jcr4runner

              I am sorry to say I used this example in a graphic in the video with
              the Muratorian Canon, although I did not give an exact date. If I knew
              about this a month ago, I could have easily removed the example.

              --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, George F Somsel
              <gfsomsel@...> wrote:

              > [206]. saec. XV, 38.3 × 27, membr (f. 1–190. 347–431; chart
              191–346), foll. 431, col. 1: V. T. Evv Act Cath Apoc Paul (Phm Hebr).
              Olim Bessarionis "locus 1" ut Evv 205 "locus 41". Ex antecedente
              codice transcriptus est, ideoque nullum numerum sibi vindicat. Birch.
              et Burgon. perl. Holmesii 122 in V. T. Vidi 5 Mart 1886.]

              > Tischendorf, C. v., Gregory, C. R., & Abbot, E. (1894; 2003). Novum
              Testamentum Graece: Prolegomena (3:510). Libronix.

              > george
              > gfsomsel
              >
              > … search for truth, hear truth,
              > defend the truth till death.
              >

              > - Jan Hus
              > _________

            • George F Somsel
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 5, 2008
                I happen to have that book in electronic format since it came with a collection of other works.  Up to today I had never used it.  It would appear that your tracking this down to p. 294 of that work is incorrect.  I find no mention of Borococcio or any variant of the name on that page.  On p. 294 I find a table listing various persons, canons, translations and councils of the first 4 cent. with their contents.  The items listed are

                INDIVIDUALS

                Pseudo-Barnabas
                Clement of Rome
                Ignatius
                Polycarp
                Hermas
                Didache
                Papias
                Irenaeus
                Diognetus
                Justin Martyr
                Clement of Alexandria
                Tertullian
                Origen
                Cyril of Jerusalem
                Eusebius
                Jerome
                Augustine

                CANONS

                Marcion
                Muratorian
                Apostolic
                Cheltenham
                Athanasius

                TRANSLATIONS

                Tatian Diatessaron
                Old Latin
                Old Syriac

                COUNCILS

                Nicea
                Hippo
                Carthage (397)
                Carthage (419)

                george
                gfsomsel

                … search for truth, hear truth,
                defend the truth till death.

                - Jan Hus
                _________

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 5, 2008
                  Jay:

                  Actually the Codices Barocciani are named after Giacomo Barocci (Barozzi) whose library was purchased by William Herbert, the Earl of Pembroke who donated them to the Bodleian in 1629, not his more famous grandfather Francesco.

                  I also beleive that Geisler and Nix's source was Westcott's book in whose appenix the canon is actually reproduced

                  Kevin

                  http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

                  Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
                  Cierpke@... http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm
                • Dirk Jongkind
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 5, 2008
                    I can see now how the mistake may have occurred quite easily.
                    In Appendix D 'The Chief catalogues of the books of the Bible during the first eight centuries' of Westcott's book he gives quite a number of canon lists and almost without exception gives the source followed by a date. The list of 'The sixty books' is item xvii. For each source the name and (often) the date is given in the margin, e.g.

                    Concilium
                    Carthagi-
                    niense III.
                    397 A.D.

                    Exceptions (no date), occurring before item xvii, are iii, iv, xii
                    In all cases the date is given on the last line with A.D. added, except for item xiv which runs (the + sign stands for the dagger indicating 'died in'):

                    Athana-
                    sius,
                    Ep. Alex.
                    326.
                    +373.

                    For item xvii, the list of the sixty books, Westcott gives

                    Bibl. Bodl.

                    Codd.
                    Baroc.
                    206.

                    If you expect a year as the last line of the source indication, it is easy to take 206 as the year.

                    Cheers,
                    Dirk

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 6, 2008
                        Dirk Jongkind wrote:
                        <I can see now how the mistake may have occurred quite easily.
                        For item xvii, the list of the sixty books, Westcott gives
                        <snip>
                        Bibl. Bodl.
                        Codd.
                        Baroc.
                        206.

                        If you expect a year as the last line of the source indication, it is
                        easy to take 206 as the year.<

                        I would propose that this was the vorlage of the error. The
                        abbreviations were understandably (I hope my Latin is right)
                        expanded to:
                        Bibliotheca Bodelia Codex Barococcio, 206 A.D.

                        And the Internet took it from there.

                        But what of the SIXTY books? I thought we were talking sixty-FOUR.

                        Daniel Buck
                      • Byron Silvera
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 7, 2008

                          To alert you, I’ve looked through the Revised ed. Of Geisler etal, without finding any mention of Codex Barococcio. Geisler, Norman L., and William E. Nix. A General Introduction to the Bible. Rev. and expanded. Chicago : Moody Press, 1996.

                          So, if Geisler and Nix (1986) were the origin of this puzzle, then they have removed it in their latest edition.

                          Regards,

                          Byron Silvera

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 10, 2008
                            Here's yet another reference to the Codex Barococcio:

                            http://www.geocities.com/Athens/thebes/4610/biblio/canon.html

                            "Codex Barococcio (206). Another supporting testimony to the early
                            canon of the NT comes from a codex entitled 'The Sixty Books.' Upon
                            careful examination these 60 books actually include 64 of the
                            familiar 66 canonical books of the Bible. Only Esther is omitted from
                            the OT, and Revelation from the New. The canonicity of Revelation is
                            well attested elsewhere, being supported by Justin Martyr, Irenaeus,
                            Clement of Alexandria, Tertullian, and the Muratorian list."

                            It would be interesting to find out if it's possible that Roman
                            numerals could have been miswritten somewhere.

                            For instance, at a website that catalogs the extant manuscripts of
                            St. Basil of Caesarea, I found the collowing entry:

                            http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/ecf/208/2080028.htm

                            "Epist. Canon. Baroc. cxcvi. 184b (i.e. pt. l, p. 336).
                            Membranaceus, in 4to majori, ff. 313, sec. xi. anno scilicet 1043
                            exaratus."

                            Another possibility is that a catalog numer such as cxcvi could have
                            been miswritten as "ccvi" or "ca.206" as I've seen in many places.

                            But I don't think this is the manuscript, unless St. Basil had a
                            canonical list somewhere in his writings.

                            I think probably the catolog number that was originally suggested for
                            the Codex Barocciani 206 is the right answer. But still it would be
                            interesting to track down how this was originally garbled.

                            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Byron Silvera"
                            <bsilvera@...> wrote:

                            > To alert you, I've looked through the Revised ed. Of Geisler etal,
                            without
                            > finding any mention of Codex Barococcio. Geisler, Norman L., and
                            William E.
                            > Nix. A General Introduction to the Bible. Rev. and expanded.
                            Chicago: Moody
                            > Press, 1996.
                            >
                            > So, if Geisler and Nix (1986) were the origin of this puzzle, then
                            they have
                            > removed it in their latest edition.
                            >

                            > Regards,
                            >

                            > Byron Silvera
                            >
                            > _____

                          • John McChesney-Young
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 10, 2008
                              At 7:15 PM +0000 3/10/08, Jay Rogers wrote in part:
                              >I think probably the catolog number that was originally suggested for
                              >the Codex Barocciani 206 is the right answer. But still it would be
                              >interesting to track down how this was originally garbled...

                              I thought Dirk Jongkind's explanation posted on March 5th made the
                              origin clear, but you can see for yourself if you visit:

                              http://books.google.com/books?id=sjYRAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&ei=o-_VR5_dOoeSswPsuMT3Aw#PPA567,M1
                              or

                              http://tinyurl.com/25hwzd

                              This URL will take you to the Google Book Search image of page 567 of
                              Westcott's canon book; if you page backwards and forwards you'll see
                              that the "A.D." is usual but not inevitable (it's lacking in the date
                              of death of Athanasius on p. 563, for example). A careless reader or
                              one simply unaware of the scheme of abbreviations Westcott used could
                              easily mistake the MS number for a date.

                              John
                              --

                              *** John McChesney-Young ** panis~at~pacbell.net ** Berkeley,
                              California, U.S.A. ***