Re: What is the Codex Barococcio?

  • Dirk Jongkind
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 29, 2008
      According to Tregelles the Muratorian canon list comes from a manuscript
      originally from the Bobbio monastery. It may be a long shot but we may
      have some barbaric vulgarisation of -bobbio into -coccio, but I cannot
      explain the first half of Barococcio here.

      --
      Dirk Jongkind, PhD
      Fellow and Tutor, St. Edmund's College
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 29, 2008
        Eric Rowe <e_rowe@...> wrote:
        >I seem to recall a question like this before, and it turned out that
        >the numerical label for the codex in question had been mistaken for
        >its date. I don't know if that question was about this same Codex
        >Borococcio. But if it was, that would mean that Borococcio is actually
        >simply called codex 206 (or maybe 0206), and some Christian apologist,
        >anxious to find ammunition for his argument, misinterpreted that to
        >mean that it's from 206 A.D.

        Your recall is roughly correct.

        There is indeed a canon list in Codex Baroccianus 206, but this manuscript
        is actually dated to the end of the ninth century. An online catalog of this
        most famous collection of MSS in the Bodleian library at Oxford is here:

        http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/dept/scwmss/wmss/online/medieval/barocci/barocci.html

        Stephen Carlson

        --
        Stephen C. Carlson
      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 29, 2008
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 29, 2008
            Andrew and Jay:

            It is not Barococcio, it is one of the Codices Barocciani, number 206.
            According to Westcott in his A General Survey of the History of the Canon of the New Testament, page 567, it is located in the Bodelian Library at Oxford England

            In the work Catalogi codicum manuscriptorum bibliothecae Bodleianae,
            By Bodleian Library, Henry Octavius Coxe
            Published 1853, volume 1 on page 366, the canon is listed under the Codices Barocciani, catalog number 206, and is the one numbered with a Greek theta.

            Apparently, someone got sloppy in their research and took the catalog number for the year of writing. So actually there are a whole series of Codices Barocciani, of which the canon is number 206.

            The best I can figure, this canon was written in the 7th century around 692 AD.

            I hope this helps

            Kevin

            Andrew <andrew.bernhard@...> wrote:
            Hi Jay-

            I must say, I once studied the ancient lists of the canon and do not
            recall coming across any "Codex Barococcio." A canon list with 64 of
            the 66 books of the Bible from A.D. 206 seems remarkably early. I would
            think it would have stood out in your mind.

            I'd definitely be interested in learning more. How is it dated to such
            a precise year? Which two books are omitted? And most importantly, what
            modern sources are you reading that refer to this ancient codex (you
            say you see it listed in many places)?

            Thanks,
            Andrew

            > > WHAT EXACTLY IS THE BAROCOCCIO CODEX?
            > >
            > > I see it listed in many places. But I don't see as much information
            > on
            > > it as the Muratorian Canon. Why?

            Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
            Cierpke@... http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm
          • Jay Rogers
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 29, 2008
              Re: What is the Codex Barococcio?
              Thanks, that's incredibly important. Thanks.

              It's the usual thing where an error gets published in one  book and then gets copied everywhere.

              If you Google "barococcio" you get hundreds of pages with the information that this is "c. 206" -- but no description of what it actually is.

              Ironically, a search for Codices Barocciani, yields far fewer results, most t\in Italians an German.

              Something seemed wrong when I read that a "codex" was from 206 A.D. I was wondering it this was a canonical list from a non-extant codex similar to the Muratorian canon. Is there any chance that the original manuscript that the Codex Barocciani draws from goes back to the third century?

              - Jay

              Andrew, Eric and Jay:

              It is not Barococcio, it is one of the Codices Barocciani, catalog number 206.
              According to Westcott in his A General Survey of the History of the Canon of the New Testament, page 567, it is located in the Bodelian Library at Oxford, England

              In the work Catalogi codicum manuscriptorum bibliothecae Bodleianae,
              By Bodleian Library, Henry Octavius Coxe
              published in 1853, volume 1 on page 366, the canon is listed under the Codices Barocciani, catalog number 206, and is the one numbered with a Greek theta.

              Apparently, someone got sloppy in their research and took the catalog number that Westcott listed for the year of writing. So actually there are a whole series of Codices Barocciani, of which the canon is catalog number 206.

              The best I can figure, this canon was written in the 7th century around 692 AD.

              I hope this helps,

              Kevin
              Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
              Cierpke@... http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm

              Andrew <andrew.bernhard@...> wrote:
              Hi Jay-

              I must say, I once studied the ancient lists of the canon and do not
              recall coming across any "Codex Barococcio." A canon list with 64 of
              the 66 books of the Bible from A.D. 206 seems remarkably early. I would
              think it would have stood out in your mind.

              I'd definitely be interested in learning more. How is it dated to such
              a precise year? Which two books are omitted? And most importantly, what
              modern sources are you reading that refer to this ancient codex (you
              say you see it listed in many places)?

              Thanks,
              Andrew

              > > WHAT EXACTLY IS THE BAROCOCCIO CODEX?
              > >
              > > I see it listed in many places. But I don't see as much information
              > on
              > > it as the Muratorian Canon. Why?

              Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
              Cierpke@... http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm

              Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
              Cierpke@... http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm

            • George F Somsel
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                [206]. saec. XV, 38.3 × 27, membr (f. 1–190. 347–431; chart 191–346), foll. 431, col. 1: V. T. Evv Act Cath Apoc Paul (Phm Hebr). Olim Bessarionis “locus 1” ut Evv 205 “locus 41”. Ex antecedente codice transcriptus est, ideoque nullum numerum sibi vindicat. Birch. et Burgon. perl. Holmesii 122 in V. T. Vidi 5 Mart 1886.]

                Tischendorf, C. v., Gregory, C. R., & Abbot, E. (1894; 2003). Novum Testamentum Graece: Prolegomena (3:510). Libronix.

                george
                gfsomsel

                … search for truth, hear truth,
                defend the truth till death.

                - Jan Hus
                _________

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 4, 2008
                  First, I want to say that I am very impressed that someone was able to
                  track this down. It's question that I've asked of various people for
                  about a year now. The best answer I've had is literally, "I've never
                  heard of it."

                  If there is a Codex Barocci with a canonical list with every book but
                  Esther and Revelation, then this must be it.

                  I've also been able to track down the origin to Norman L. Geisler and
                  William E. Nix. A General Introduction to the Bible. Chicago: Moody
                  Press, 1986). p. 294.

                  I'll have to see the page from that book to see if they cite their source.

                  Someone probably read somewhere that "Codex Barocci (206)" contained
                  every book in the Canon except Esther and Revelation.

                  And eventually it got morphed into "Barococcio (ca. 206)"

                  But why the name change?

                  The Barocci Codices actually come from the mathematician Francesco
                  Barozzi (Barocci) who kept the

                  There is also an Italian Renaissance painter whose name is spelled
                  "Frederigo Barocci or sometimes Barocccio.

                  The extra syllable is probably a typo. (That "scribal error"
                  explanation strikes again!)

                  I too thought A.D. 206 was suspicious. "Why the odd number? Shouldn't
                  it be c. 200 or 210?" Or so I thought.

                  If it's ninth century it does nothing to bolster the argument for
                  theearly dates for the acceptance of the canon -- except as an example
                  of how some books were missing (accidently?) from later canons and
                  canonical lists long after the canon was universally agreed upon.

                  I did have another idea and maybe someone could help answer this.

                  I noticed in looking at the MSS Barocci that many of these codices
                  contain the church fathers. I am wondering if the original citation
                  meant to say that a canonical list from 200 A.D. from one of the
                  Barococci codices. What do you think?

                  http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/dept/scwmss/wmss/online/medieval/barocci/barocci.html

                  Anyway, the reason for my question is this.

                  I recently produced a DVD called The Real Jesus: A Defense of the
                  Historicity and Divinity of Christ --

                  http://therealjesus.com

                  Some clips are at: http://youtube.com/jcr4runner

                  I am sorry to say I used this example in a graphic in the video with
                  the Muratorian Canon, although I did not give an exact date. If I knew
                  about this a month ago, I could have easily removed the example.

                  --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, George F Somsel
                  <gfsomsel@...> wrote:

                  > [206]. saec. XV, 38.3 × 27, membr (f. 1–190. 347–431; chart
                  191–346), foll. 431, col. 1: V. T. Evv Act Cath Apoc Paul (Phm Hebr).
                  Olim Bessarionis "locus 1" ut Evv 205 "locus 41". Ex antecedente
                  codice transcriptus est, ideoque nullum numerum sibi vindicat. Birch.
                  et Burgon. perl. Holmesii 122 in V. T. Vidi 5 Mart 1886.]

                  > Tischendorf, C. v., Gregory, C. R., & Abbot, E. (1894; 2003). Novum
                  Testamentum Graece: Prolegomena (3:510). Libronix.

                  > george
                  > gfsomsel
                  >
                  > … search for truth, hear truth,
                  > defend the truth till death.
                  >

                  > - Jan Hus
                  > _________

                • George F Somsel
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 5, 2008
                    I happen to have that book in electronic format since it came with a collection of other works.  Up to today I had never used it.  It would appear that your tracking this down to p. 294 of that work is incorrect.  I find no mention of Borococcio or any variant of the name on that page.  On p. 294 I find a table listing various persons, canons, translations and councils of the first 4 cent. with their contents.  The items listed are

                    INDIVIDUALS

                    Pseudo-Barnabas
                    Clement of Rome
                    Ignatius
                    Polycarp
                    Hermas
                    Didache
                    Papias
                    Irenaeus
                    Diognetus
                    Justin Martyr
                    Clement of Alexandria
                    Tertullian
                    Origen
                    Cyril of Jerusalem
                    Eusebius
                    Jerome
                    Augustine

                    CANONS

                    Marcion
                    Muratorian
                    Apostolic
                    Cheltenham
                    Athanasius

                    TRANSLATIONS

                    Tatian Diatessaron
                    Old Latin
                    Old Syriac

                    COUNCILS

                    Nicea
                    Hippo
                    Carthage (397)
                    Carthage (419)

                    george
                    gfsomsel

                    … search for truth, hear truth,
                    defend the truth till death.

                    - Jan Hus
                    _________

                    <gfsomsel@.. .> wrote:

                    > [206]. saec. XV, 38.3 × 27, membr (f. 1–190. 347–431; chart
                    191–346), foll. 431, col. 1: V. T. Evv Act Cath Apoc Paul (Phm Hebr).
                    Olim Bessarionis "locus 1" ut Evv 205 "locus 41". Ex antecedente
                    codice transcriptus est, ideoque nullum numerum sibi vindicat. Birch.
                    et Burgon. perl. Holmesii 122 in V. T. Vidi 5 Mart 1886.]

                    > Tischendorf, C. v., Gregory, C. R., & Abbot, E. (1894; 2003). Novum
                    Testamentum Graece: Prolegomena (3:510). Libronix.

                    > george
                    > gfsomsel
                    >
                    > … search for truth, hear truth,
                    > defend the truth till death.
                    >

                    > - Jan Hus
                    > _________

                  • Kevin W. Woodruff
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 5, 2008
                      Jay:

                      Actually the Codices Barocciani are named after Giacomo Barocci (Barozzi) whose library was purchased by William Herbert, the Earl of Pembroke who donated them to the Bodleian in 1629, not his more famous grandfather Francesco.

                      I also beleive that Geisler and Nix's source was Westcott's book in whose appenix the canon is actually reproduced

                      Kevin

                      http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 5, 2008
                        I can see now how the mistake may have occurred quite easily.
                        In Appendix D 'The Chief catalogues of the books of the Bible during the first eight centuries' of Westcott's book he gives quite a number of canon lists and almost without exception gives the source followed by a date. The list of 'The sixty books' is item xvii. For each source the name and (often) the date is given in the margin, e.g.

                        Concilium
                        Carthagi-
                        niense III.
                        397 A.D.

                        Exceptions (no date), occurring before item xvii, are iii, iv, xii
                        In all cases the date is given on the last line with A.D. added, except for item xiv which runs (the + sign stands for the dagger indicating 'died in'):

                        Athana-
                        sius,
                        Ep. Alex.
                        326.
                        +373.

                        For item xvii, the list of the sixty books, Westcott gives

                        Bibl. Bodl.

                        Codd.
                        Baroc.
                        206.

                        If you expect a year as the last line of the source indication, it is easy to take 206 as the year.

                        Cheers,
                        Dirk

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 6, 2008
                            Dirk Jongkind wrote:
                            <I can see now how the mistake may have occurred quite easily.
                            For item xvii, the list of the sixty books, Westcott gives
                            <snip>
                            Bibl. Bodl.
                            Codd.
                            Baroc.
                            206.

                            If you expect a year as the last line of the source indication, it is
                            easy to take 206 as the year.<

                            I would propose that this was the vorlage of the error. The
                            abbreviations were understandably (I hope my Latin is right)
                            expanded to:
                            Bibliotheca Bodelia Codex Barococcio, 206 A.D.

                            And the Internet took it from there.

                            But what of the SIXTY books? I thought we were talking sixty-FOUR.

                            Daniel Buck
                          • Byron Silvera
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 7, 2008

                              To alert you, I’ve looked through the Revised ed. Of Geisler etal, without finding any mention of Codex Barococcio. Geisler, Norman L., and William E. Nix. A General Introduction to the Bible. Rev. and expanded. Chicago : Moody Press, 1996.

                              So, if Geisler and Nix (1986) were the origin of this puzzle, then they have removed it in their latest edition.

                              Regards,

                              Byron Silvera

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 10, 2008
                                Here's yet another reference to the Codex Barococcio:

                                http://www.geocities.com/Athens/thebes/4610/biblio/canon.html

                                "Codex Barococcio (206). Another supporting testimony to the early
                                canon of the NT comes from a codex entitled 'The Sixty Books.' Upon
                                careful examination these 60 books actually include 64 of the
                                familiar 66 canonical books of the Bible. Only Esther is omitted from
                                the OT, and Revelation from the New. The canonicity of Revelation is
                                well attested elsewhere, being supported by Justin Martyr, Irenaeus,
                                Clement of Alexandria, Tertullian, and the Muratorian list."

                                It would be interesting to find out if it's possible that Roman
                                numerals could have been miswritten somewhere.

                                For instance, at a website that catalogs the extant manuscripts of
                                St. Basil of Caesarea, I found the collowing entry:

                                http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/ecf/208/2080028.htm

                                "Epist. Canon. Baroc. cxcvi. 184b (i.e. pt. l, p. 336).
                                Membranaceus, in 4to majori, ff. 313, sec. xi. anno scilicet 1043
                                exaratus."

                                Another possibility is that a catalog numer such as cxcvi could have
                                been miswritten as "ccvi" or "ca.206" as I've seen in many places.

                                But I don't think this is the manuscript, unless St. Basil had a
                                canonical list somewhere in his writings.

                                I think probably the catolog number that was originally suggested for
                                the Codex Barocciani 206 is the right answer. But still it would be
                                interesting to track down how this was originally garbled.

                                --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Byron Silvera"
                                <bsilvera@...> wrote:

                                > To alert you, I've looked through the Revised ed. Of Geisler etal,
                                without
                                > finding any mention of Codex Barococcio. Geisler, Norman L., and
                                William E.
                                > Nix. A General Introduction to the Bible. Rev. and expanded.
                                Chicago: Moody
                                > Press, 1996.
                                >
                                > So, if Geisler and Nix (1986) were the origin of this puzzle, then
                                they have
                                > removed it in their latest edition.
                                >

                                > Regards,
                                >

                                > Byron Silvera
                                >
                                > _____

                              • John McChesney-Young
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 10, 2008
                                  At 7:15 PM +0000 3/10/08, Jay Rogers wrote in part:
                                  >I think probably the catolog number that was originally suggested for
                                  >the Codex Barocciani 206 is the right answer. But still it would be
                                  >interesting to track down how this was originally garbled...

                                  I thought Dirk Jongkind's explanation posted on March 5th made the
                                  origin clear, but you can see for yourself if you visit:

                                  http://books.google.com/books?id=sjYRAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&ei=o-_VR5_dOoeSswPsuMT3Aw#PPA567,M1
                                  or

                                  http://tinyurl.com/25hwzd

                                  This URL will take you to the Google Book Search image of page 567 of
                                  Westcott's canon book; if you page backwards and forwards you'll see
                                  that the "A.D." is usual but not inevitable (it's lacking in the date
                                  of death of Athanasius on p. 563, for example). A careless reader or
                                  one simply unaware of the scheme of abbreviations Westcott used could
                                  easily mistake the MS number for a date.

                                  John
                                  --

                                  *** John McChesney-Young ** panis~at~pacbell.net ** Berkeley,
                                  California, U.S.A. ***