Re: [textualcriticism] Teaser - cont.

  • Peter Head
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 11, 2005
      All this proves is that the 5137 fragment suffered the same damage as the P
      Oxy 4404 fragment. Obviously they must have been preserved together and
      5137 is also from Oxyrhynchus. Further evidence of an early four gospel codex!

      Pete

      At 06:45 PM 1/9/05, you wrote:

      >It was already 11 pm and renowned TC scholar Fenton John Anthony
      >Nestle-Aland wanted to leave his office, when his eye catched a glimpse
      >of a little papyrus image, printed out for him by his secretary. He
      >pulled it out of the tangled mass of paper, settled back and looked at
      >it carefully.
      >"Leaked to us from an anonymous British email address" was the only
      >note, written by his secretary.
      >
      >http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/5137.jpg
      >
      >Immediately he was astounded as to its date, and content! He stared a
      >while on it until he realized what was wrong with it.
      >
      >Can you find out?
      >
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+ SPOILER
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+ SPOILER
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >+
      >
      >Obviously not, even though there were some good observations.
      >Well, Fenton John Anthony Nestle-Aland turned on his computer once again
      >and clicked his way to the following page:
      >http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/papyri/vol64/pages/4404.htm
      >"Ah, gotcha!", he said, "nice try. Forgery season, he?"
      >
      >Best wishes
      > Wieland
      > <><
      >------------------------
      >Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      >mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      >http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/
      >Textcritical commentary:
      >http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/index.html
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Peter M. Head, PhD
      Tyndale House
      36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
      566607
      Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2005
        Since I received several emails inquiring about this:
        It is a fake, done by me!
        I simply used the empty part of POxy 4404 and copied the letters from
        the verso.
        It was Ted Blakley who came nearest to the truth. It would of course be
        nice to have a 2nd CE Four Gospel Codex with the PA, but Alas! it is not
        the case.