Re: [textualcriticism] Re: symbols in the apparatus [was: Russian textual tradition variants in Jude]

  • Tommy Wasserman
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 31, 1969
      Dear Daniel,

      The extract below (from my edition, The Epistle of Jude: Its Text and
      Transmission, p. 130-131) explains some of the symbols you ask for
      (note the slightly different definition of Z in my edition). I hope the
      text comes out okay.

      With regards

      Tommy Wasserman

      After a Manuscript Number
      A alternative reading (coordinate with T)
      C correction (coordinate with *)
      f defective form (“Fehler”) which unequivocally supports the reading
      indicated. All errors are recorded in the apparatus, or in a list of
      errors in the Greek MSS. Exception has been made for the most frequent
      kind of vowel interchange (αι-ε, ε-η, ε-ι-η-υ-ι-οι, ο-ω).
      (*f) an originally defective form that was corrected (the defective
      form is recorded in a subsequent list regarding errors)
      (Cf) an originally correct form of a reading that was erroneously
      corrected (the defective form is recorded in the errata list of Greek
      MSS)
      K a reading in the commentary which differs from the lemma
      S supplement (only 1831S; see list of MSS)
      T the reading of the text as distinguished from an alternative reading
      (A), a reading in a commentary (K) or an additional reading (Z)
      V ut videtur (apparently). In some cases, the symbol is used when
      there are lacunae within a unit; the reader should always consult the
      list of lacunae to see if this is the case. The symbol is also used
      when one or more letters are uncertain, although it is evident which
      reading is supported.
      Z an additional reading, interlinear or marginal, that is either a
      correction or an alternative reading. It should be noted that the
      definition of Z in this edition is more precise than in the ECM: in
      order to avoid a subjective element of interpretation, I classify all
      interlinear and marginal readings as additional readings, unless the
      reading of the text is unequivocally erroneous, or if there is a sign
      known to be used for corrections. (In the list of differences between
      this edition and the ECM, all cases of different interpretation are
      noted.)
      * the reading of the first hand (coordinate with C)
      /2 lessons from Jude occur in lectionaries of the synaxarion in week 36
      of the ecclesiastical (movable) year. In a few lectionaries, L427,
      L585, L1196, L1281, there are lessons from Jude in the second part of
      the lectionary, the menologion with fixed feasts following the civil
      year (often on June 19). These latter menologion-lessons have been
      cited consistently under the sigla L427/2, L585/2, L1196/2, and
      L1281/2. (In the ECM, two lessons within the same lectionary are cited
      separately only when they differ.)

      5 mar 2008 kl. 04.46 skrev Daniel Buck:

      > Tommy Wasserman wrote:
      > >>
      > Z = correction or additional reading
      > V = videtur ['apparently'; part of the word/letter is missing]
      > <<
      >
      > Thank you, Tommy, for this helpful information. I've puzzled over
      > these
      > codes in the NT Texts Prototype on the Muenster website.
      >
      > Can you complete this short key with a few more definitions (I can
      > guess the first two, but there seems to be some overlap):
      >
      > T= The original text, as best as can be determined through the
      > overwrite
      > C= The present text, written over T (like a palimpsest)
      > C2=
      > A=
      > *=
      >
      > Daniel

    • Tommy Wasserman
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 31, 1969
        Dear Malcolm,

        my problem is that I cannot see what you have written - perhaps my
        e-mailsoftware does not support your font. Can you do a transcription
        please and I will try to answer.

        Tommy Wasserman

        28 feb 2008 kl. 17.39 skrev mjriii2003:

        > Greetings all,
        >
        > My question is specific. Does anyone have knowledge of any Greek or
        > Latin mss which contain the following explanatory words in the epistle
        > of Jude:
        >
        > Àíãåëîâ (vs 14)
        >
        > ñëoâàõ (vs 15)
        >
        > íå÷åñòèâî è áåççàêîííî (vs 16)
        >
        > îò åäèíñòâà âåðû (vs 19)
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Malcolm

      • Tommy Wasserman
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 31, 1969
          Malcolm,

          for the record, the reference to Z is not a manuscript, but 2544Z means
          that the reading is present in 2544 and that it may be an additional
          reading (written in the margin or sometimes supralinearly).

          I do believe Jude is prior to 2 Peter. I devote one chapter in my
          dissertation to the subject. (And then comes a chapter on textual
          harmonization between the two letters.)

          And, finally, concerning v. 19 it seems to me that the Greek
          APODIORIZONTES (a hapax legomenon) understood as "separate" seem to
          demand the pronoun hEAUTOUS ("themselves") present in many MSS, and the
          additional emendation you refer to seems to provide a natural
          reference as to what they were separating themselves from (the unity of
          the faith, cf. v. 3). However, the verb without object can also be
          translated "cause division."

          With regards

          Tommy Wasserman

        • Tommy Wasserman
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 31, 1969
            Dear Malcolm,

> [...]

            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear Malcolm,
            > >
            > > okay. Perhaps I also need an English translation! But I can try
            > with my
            > > limited knowledge of Slavic languages...
            > >
            > > v. 14, there are several witnesses that add AGGELWN to v. 14,
            > including
            > > some early, e.g., P72 01 044 et al. I see it as an explanatory
            > gloss.
            > > For an extensive comment, see my dissertation, The Epistle of Jude:
            > Its
            > > Text and Transmission, p. 299-300.
            > >
            > > v. 15: Does "slovax" mean words? The insertion of LOGWN has early
            > and
            > > widespread attestation, e.g., 01 04 33 81 1739 et al, see my
            > > dissertation p. 305-307.
            > >
            > > v. 16: Can you translate that in as literal English as possible?

          • Tommy Wasserman
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 31, 1969
              Dear Malcolm,

              okay. Perhaps I also need an English translation! But I can try with my
              limited knowledge of Slavic languages...

              v. 14, there are several witnesses that add AGGELWN to v. 14, including
              some early, e.g., P72 01 044 et al. I see it as an explanatory gloss.
              For an extensive comment, see my dissertation, The Epistle of Jude: Its
              Text and Transmission, p. 299-300.

              v. 15: Does "slovax" mean words? The insertion of LOGWN has early and
              widespread attestation, e.g., 01 04 33 81 1739 et al, see my
              dissertation p. 305-307.

              v. 16: Can you translate that in as literal English as possible?

              v. 19: Can you translate this too?

              With regards

              Tommy

              1 mar 2008 kl. 20.47 skrev mjriii2003:

              > Ok Tommy, here's the transcription:
              >
              > vs 14 angelof
              > vs 15 slovax
              > vs 16 nechestivo i bezzakonno
              > vs 19 ot edinstva very
              >
              > Malcolm
              >
              > -----------
              >
              > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Tommy Wasserman <tomwas@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Dear Malcolm,
              > >
              > > my problem is that I cannot see what you have written - perhaps my
              > > e-mailsoftware does not support your font. Can you do a
              > transcription
              > > please and I will try to answer.
              > >
              > > Tommy Wasserman
              > >
              > > 28 feb 2008 kl. 17.39 skrev mjriii2003:
              > >
              > > > Greetings all,
              > > >
              > > > My question is specific. Does anyone have knowledge of any Greek
              > or
              > > > Latin mss which contain the following explanatory words in the
              > epistle
              > > > of Jude:
              > > >
              > > > Àíãåëîâ (vs 14)
              > > >
              > > > ñëoâàõ (vs 15)
              > > >
              > > > íå÷åñòèâî è áåççàêîííî (vs 16)
              > > >
              > > > îò åäèíñòâà âåðû (vs 19)
              > > >
              > > > Thanks,
              > > >
              > > > Malcolm

            • Tommy Wasserman
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 31, 1969
                Malcolm,

                2544T does not have the addition. I have not defined the addition as a
                correction, but rather as an additional reading that is either a

                4 mar 2008 kl. 21.04 skrev mjriii2003:

> [...]
                > >
                > > Tommy Wasserman
                > >
                > > 4 mar 2008 kl. 01.22 skrev mjriii2003:
                > >
                > > > Dear Tommy,
                > > >
                > > > Thanks Tommy. I am aware of your doctoral efforts and their
                > > > circumference.
                > > >
                > > > Mss 2544 and Z would more closely resemble the Russian adverbial
                > > > rendering in the translation I have been reading.
                > > >
                > > > The harmonization from 2 Peter 2:16 seems probable. On another
                > note,
                > > > I wonder, do you think Jude was written before or after 2
                > Peter?:-)
                > > >
                > > > I agree that the likelihood of other uncollated mss containing
                > these
                > > > last two variants is slim, but I still can't come to the
                > confidence
                > > > that the textual transmission is without a Vorlage for either,
                > esp
                > > > since the testimony surrounding the efforts of Cyril and

              • Daniel B. Wallace
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 28, 2008
                  If anybody did, it would be Tommy Wasserman.

                  Dan Wallace

                  My question is specific. Does anyone have knowledge of any Greek or
                  Latin mss which contain the following explanatory words in the epistle
                  of Jude:

                  Àãåëîâ (vs 14)

                  ñëoâ õ (vs 15)

                  å÷åñòèâî è áåçç êîî (vs 16)

                  îò åäèñòâ âåðû (vs 19)

                  Thanks,

                  Malcolm

                  ----- End Original Message -----
                • mjriii2003
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008

                    wrote:

                    > Dear Malcolm,
                    >
                    > my problem is that I cannot see what you have written - perhaps my
                    > e-mailsoftware does not support your font. Can you do a
                    transcription
                    > please and I will try to answer.
                    >
                    > Tommy Wasserman
                    >
                    > 28 feb 2008 kl. 17.39 skrev mjriii2003:
                    >
                    > > Greetings all,
                    > >
                    > > My question is specific. Does anyone have knowledge of any Greek
                    or
                    > > Latin mss which contain the following explanatory words in the
                    epistle
                    > > of Jude:
                    > >
                    > > Àíãåëîâ (vs 14)
                    > >
                    > > ñëoâàõ (vs 15)
                    > >
                    > > íå÷åñòèâî è áåççàêîííî (vs 16)
                    > >
                    > > îò åäèíñòâà âåðû (vs 19)
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > >
                    > > Malcolm

                  • mjriii2003
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
                      Dear Tommy,

                      wrote:

                      > Dear Malcolm,
                      >
                      > okay. Perhaps I also need an English translation! But I can try
                      with my
                      > limited knowledge of Slavic languages...
                      >
                      > v. 14, there are several witnesses that add AGGELWN to v. 14,
                      including
                      > some early, e.g., P72 01 044 et al. I see it as an explanatory
                      gloss.
                      > For an extensive comment, see my dissertation, The Epistle of Jude:
                      Its
                      > Text and Transmission, p. 299-300.
                      >
                      > v. 15: Does "slovax" mean words? The insertion of LOGWN has early
                      and
                      > widespread attestation, e.g., 01 04 33 81 1739 et al, see my
                      > dissertation p. 305-307.
                      >
                      > v. 16: Can you translate that in as literal English as possible?
                      >
                      > v. 19: Can you translate this too?
                      >
                      > With regards
                      >
                      > Tommy
                      >

                      > 1 mar 2008 kl. 20.47 skrev mjriii2003:
                      >
                      > > Ok Tommy, here's the transcription:
                      > >
                      > > vs 14 angelof
                      > > vs 15 slovax
                      > > vs 16 nechestivo i bezzakonno
                      > > vs 19 ot edinstva very
                      > >
                      > > Malcolm
                      > >
                      > > -----------
                      > >
                      > > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Tommy Wasserman
                      <tomwas@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Dear Malcolm,
                      > > >
                      > > > my problem is that I cannot see what you have written -
                      perhaps my
                      > > > e-mailsoftware does not support your font. Can you do a
                      > > transcription
                      > > > please and I will try to answer.
                      > > >
                      > > > Tommy Wasserman

                      Greek
                      > > or
                      > > epistle

                    • mjriii2003
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
                        Dear Tommy,

                        wrote:

> [...]
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Dear Malcolm,
                        > > >
                        > > > okay. Perhaps I also need an English translation! But I can try
                        > > with my
                        > > > limited knowledge of Slavic languages...
                        > > >
                        > > > v. 14, there are several witnesses that add AGGELWN to v. 14,
                        > > including
                        > > > some early, e.g., P72 01 044 et al. I see it as an explanatory
                        > > gloss.
                        > > > For an extensive comment, see my dissertation, The Epistle of
                        Jude:
                        > > Its
                        > > > Text and Transmission, p. 299-300.
                        > > >
                        > > > v. 15: Does "slovax" mean words? The insertion of LOGWN has
                        early
                        > > and
                        > > > widespread attestation, e.g., 01 04 33 81 1739 et al, see my
                        > > > dissertation p. 305-307.
                        > > >
                        > > > v. 16: Can you translate that in as literal English as

                      • mjriii2003
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 4, 2008
                          Dear Tommy,

                          wrote:

> [...]
                          > > >
                          > > > Now to the remaining two verses - thank you for providing an
                          > > English
                          > > > translation:
                          > > >
                          > > > v. 16: "dishonestly and lawlessly".
                          > > > This addition does reflect some Greek manuscripts that have the
                          > > > addition TH ASEBEIA KAI TH PARANOMIA (459 1838 1842 1846ZV);
                          467
                          > > reads
                          > > > TH ASEBEIA KAI PARANOMIA; 2544Z reads EN ASEBEIA KAI ANOMIA
                          > > >
                          > > > Z = correction or additional reading
                          > > > V = videtur
                          > > >
                          > > > The peculiar emendation was possibly influenced by the remotely
                          > > similar
                          > > > phrase in v. 18 where EPIQUMIA is further specified, and
                          possibly
                          > > also
                          > > > by the passage in 2 Pet 2:16.
                          > > >
                          > > > v. 19: "from the unity of the faith"
                          > > > This addition I have not found in any Greek MSS.

                        • Daniel Buck