Re: [textualcriticism] Use of Dead Sea Scrolls in Ancient Textual Criticism

  • goranson@duke.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2008
      Perhaps of interest:

      The medieval discovery of manuscripts was described by Timotheus "in a chamber
      in a mountain in the vicinity of Jericho." (Syriac text and trans. in John C.
      Reeves, J. for the Study of Judaism 30 [1999] 174, 175). Timotheus asked if the
      mss had the prophecy [or plural] mentioned in Matthew 2:23 on Jesus called
      Nazoraios.

      The al-Kirkisani text is translated in Leon Nemoy, Karaite Anthology p. 45ff.

      Whether the two above writers refer to one find (or set of finds) or two is
      presented differently by modern writers. Whether near Jericho meant the Qumran
      caves is also presented variously. And whether such text mader way to Cairo
      Genizah. The late H. Stegemann proposed Qumran Cave 3 was the medieval find
      spot.

      If you're interested in a text later than Eusebius (and influenced in parts by
      Epiphanius) see Joseph, Hypomnestikon, Migne PG 106 ch 122 col 124-5 where he
      claims a Psalms scroll found near Jericho in a (metal?) jar was written by a
      scribe who was a woman. My 1990 dissertation and Kim Haines-Eitzen's 2000 book
      (Guardians of Letters) mention this, as does the G. Menzies-R. Grant SBL
      edition of Hypomnestikon.

      Stephen Goranson
      http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
      "Jannaeus, His brother Absalom, and Judah the Essene"

      By the way, any opinions about two remarkabe new articles:

      Ada Yardeni, in "A Note on a Qumran Scribe," claims that a single
      Qumran scribe (she dates the script to "the late first century BCE to the
      beginning of the first century CE") "apparently copied" 56 of the extant Qumran
      scrolls/fragments (according to DJD numbering) from Qumran caves 1, 2, 3, 4, 6
      and 11, and unidentified caves, and one from Masada, and "perhaps also" copied
      an additional 37 Qumran scrolls/fragments from caves 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, and 11.
      Pages 287-298 in New Seals and Inscriptions, Hebrew, Idumean, and
      Cuneiform, ed. Meir Lubetski (Sheffield Phoenix Press, 2007).

      Emile Puech, L'ostracon de Khirbet Qumran (KhQ1996/1) et une vente de
      terrain a Jericho, temoin de l'occupation essenienne a Qumran," Flores
      Florentino: Dead Sea Scrolls and other early Jewish studies in honour of
      Florentino Garcia Martinez, ed. A Hilhorst; Emile Puech; Eibert J C Tigchelaar.
      Brill 2007 [2008], pages 1-29.