Re: Augustine's Codices of Mark

  • James Snapp, Jr.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2008
      Dear Malcolm:

      I'm not sure I understand your question. Here again is the
      information:

      Augustine's citation of Greek manuscripts containing Mk. 16:12 is
      in "Harmony of the Gospels," Book III, chapter 25. He first cites
      Mk. 16:12 in a Latin form, in which the verse ends in the phrase "as
      they walked and went to a country-seat." ("Villam" is probably
      underlying "country-seat," as in the Vulgate.) Then he states, "In
      the Greek codices, indeed, the reading which we discover is
      rather 'estate' than 'country-seat.'"

      This shows that Greek codices that were available to Augustine to
      consult contained Mk. 16:9-20. Also, inasmuch as he quotes all of
      Mk. 16:9-20 in the course of his Harmony, it is equally evident that
      the passage was in the Latin text that he used.

      As for the Retractations, I don't have a copy of it handy, but I
      think that if Augustine had said anything specific to the effect that
      Mk. 16:9-20 might not be authentic, we would have heard about it.
      Probably the only thing that might be capable of interpreting as a
      symptom of second thoughts about this is his statement, somewhere, to
      the effect that the manuscripts in the more ancient and well-stocked
      libraries of major sees. But by this he may be simply offering the
      reader a way of sorting out the extremely diverse Latin texts,
      without having any particular passage in mind.

      Minister, Curtisville Christian Church
      Tipton, Indiana (USA)
      www.curtisvillechristian.org/MarkOne.html