Augustine's Codices of Mark

  • James Snapp, Jr.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2008
      I was doing some reading yesterday and came across a reference
      concerning Mark 16:9-20 which seems to be little-known (since it is
      not in any modern textual apparatus I've seen). So it might be
      worthwhile to give it some sunshine.

      Augustine's use of Mark 16:9-20 has never been in doubt; he quotes
      the passage many times. Hort acknowledged, too, that Mark 16:9-20
      occupied a prominent place in the lectionary that was used where
      Augustine preached. But in Augustine's "Harmony of the Gospels,"
      Book III, chapter 25, there's yet another reference.

      After stating that both Luke and Mark mention the post-resurrection
      appearance of Christ to the two travelers on the road to Emmaus,
      Augustine wrote as follows:

      "The latter evangelist reports the same incident in these concise
      terms: 'And after that He appeared in another form unto two of them,
      as they walked and went to a country-seat.' For it is not
      unreasonable for us to suppose that the place of residence referred
      to may also have been styled a country-seat; just as Bethlehem
      itself, which formerly was called a city, is even at the present time
      also named a village, although its honor has now been made so much
      the greater since the name of this Lord, who was born in it, has been
      proclaimed so extensively throughout the churches of all nations. In
      the Greek codices, indeed, the reading which we discover is
      rather 'estate' than 'country-seat.' But that term was employed not
      only of residences, but also of free towns and colonies beyond the
      city, which is the head and mother of the rest, and is therefore
      called the metropolis."

      Here Augustine, writing c. 400 or a little later, cites the contents
      of not just his favorite copy of the Latin Gospels but Greek codices
      as well. In neither case does he give any hint that the passage is
      disputed or missing in some copies; nor does he give any indication
      that he has seen the Short Ending. So, besides Augustine, and
      besides Augustine's lectionary, we should add Greek and Latin codices
      known to Augustine, c. 400, to the list of witnesses supportive of
      the inclusion of Mk. 16:9-20. That's no small addition.

      Minister, Curtisville Christian Church
      Tipton, Indiana
      www.curtisvillechristian.org/Vaticanus.html
    • mjriii2003
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2008
        Not so fast Jim. Where is the support for Greek mss readings (or
        even the identifcation of the Latin witnesses) in St Augustine and
        although I don't have time to recheck it is doubtful that he
        commented on this disputed passage in his retractions.

        Malcolm

        ___________________

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "James Snapp, Jr."

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 20, 2008
          Dear Malcolm:

          I'm not sure I understand your question. Here again is the
          information:

          Augustine's citation of Greek manuscripts containing Mk. 16:12 is
          in "Harmony of the Gospels," Book III, chapter 25. He first cites
          Mk. 16:12 in a Latin form, in which the verse ends in the phrase "as
          they walked and went to a country-seat." ("Villam" is probably
          underlying "country-seat," as in the Vulgate.) Then he states, "In
          the Greek codices, indeed, the reading which we discover is
          rather 'estate' than 'country-seat.'"

          This shows that Greek codices that were available to Augustine to
          consult contained Mk. 16:9-20. Also, inasmuch as he quotes all of
          Mk. 16:9-20 in the course of his Harmony, it is equally evident that
          the passage was in the Latin text that he used.

          As for the Retractations, I don't have a copy of it handy, but I
          think that if Augustine had said anything specific to the effect that
          Mk. 16:9-20 might not be authentic, we would have heard about it.
          Probably the only thing that might be capable of interpreting as a
          symptom of second thoughts about this is his statement, somewhere, to
          the effect that the manuscripts in the more ancient and well-stocked
          libraries of major sees. But by this he may be simply offering the
          reader a way of sorting out the extremely diverse Latin texts,
          without having any particular passage in mind.

          Minister, Curtisville Christian Church
          Tipton, Indiana (USA)
          www.curtisvillechristian.org/MarkOne.html