Re: Script help

  • yennifmit
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 15, 2008
      Dear George,

      The following books might help you get started:

      Turner, E. G. 1987. Greek Manuscripts of the Ancient World. P.J.
      Parsons (ed). Institute of Classical Studies Bulletin Supplement 46.
      London: Institute of Classical Studies.

      Cavallo, G. and H. Maehler. 1987. Greek Bookhands of the Early
      Byzantine Period A.D. 300 - 800. Institute of Classical Studies
      Bulletin Supplement 47. London: Institute of Classical Studies.

      Both include plates and transcriptions of cursive writing.

      Best,

      Tim Finney

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, George F Somsel
      <gfsomsel@...> wrote:

      > Another subscriber on the b-greek list asked a question regarding
      the POxy 3525 manuscript of the Gospel of Mary
      (http://tinyurl.com/2w6jua), but I am unaccustomed to reading cursive
      Greek script of this type with ligatures. Does anyone know of a site
      from which this style of writing can be learned?

      > george
      > gfsomsel
    • George F Somsel
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 16, 2008
        I don't seem to be able to locate these through my regular sources.  Do you know where they can be obtained?

        george
        gfsomsel

        … search for truth, hear truth,
        defend the truth till death.

        - Jan Hus
        _________

        <gfsomsel@.. .> wrote:

        > Another subscriber on the b-greek list asked a question regarding
        the POxy 3525 manuscript of the Gospel of Mary
        (http://tinyurl. com/2w6jua), but I am unaccustomed to reading cursive
        Greek script of this type with ligatures. Does anyone know of a site
        from which this style of writing can be learned?

        > george
        > gfsomsel

      • yennifmit
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 17, 2008
          Hi George,

          You may well have trouble locating these. I got mine at the 1997
          Oxford Papyrology Summer School. Someone brought a box of them from
          London, I think.

          My only suggestion is to contact the publisher:

          http://icls.sas.ac.uk/

          You might have better luck finding the first edition of Turner's Greek
          Manuscripts of the Ancient World.

          I found this bibliography, which looks excellent:

          http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/papyrus/texts/bibliography.html

          <gfsomsel@...> wrote:

          > I don't seem to be able to locate these through my regular sources.
          Do you know where they can be obtained?

          > george
          > gfsomsel
          >
          > … search for truth, hear truth,
          > defend the truth till death.
          >
          > - Jan Hus
          > _________

        • Kent Clarke
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 21, 2008

            Hi All:

            Regarding Greek Palaeography, you can find both the 1893 and 1912 editions of Maunde Thompson’s classic work, “An Introduction to Greek & Latin Palaeography” at the following link.

            http://www.archive.org/details/greeklatin00thomuoft

            Enjoy!

            Warm Regards;

            Kent

            Kent D. Clarke (Ph.D. Bristol)

            Brooke Foss Westcott Professor of New Testament

            Textual Criticism, Greek Studies, and Hermeneutics

            Trinity Western University

            Seal Kap House

            7600 Glover Road

            Langley, British Columbia