Re: [textualcriticism] Script help

  • A. Dirkzwager
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 15, 2008
      Addition:
      If you would like to learn to read manuscripts, there is a very
      practical book "Short Manuel of Greek Palaeography" by B.A. van
      Groningen. I possess the 1967 edition (Leyden, Sijthoff), but I remember
      vaguely that there is a new edition now, perhaps with another title.

      Arie

      A. Dirkzwager schreef:

      > Dear George,
      >
      > The script is a variant of a type of script you see often, but .....
      > ..... every manuscript has its own peculiarities. So a person who has
      > seen more MSS should apply himself to this type of script.
      > There are even persons who have seen so many MSS that they could read it
      > without major problems.
      >
      > Arie
      >
      > A. Dirkzwager
      > Hoeselt, Belgium

    • yennifmit
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 15, 2008
        Dear George,

        The following books might help you get started:

        Turner, E. G. 1987. Greek Manuscripts of the Ancient World. P.J.
        Parsons (ed). Institute of Classical Studies Bulletin Supplement 46.
        London: Institute of Classical Studies.

        Cavallo, G. and H. Maehler. 1987. Greek Bookhands of the Early
        Byzantine Period A.D. 300 - 800. Institute of Classical Studies
        Bulletin Supplement 47. London: Institute of Classical Studies.

        Both include plates and transcriptions of cursive writing.

        Best,

        Tim Finney

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, George F Somsel
        <gfsomsel@...> wrote:

        > Another subscriber on the b-greek list asked a question regarding
        the POxy 3525 manuscript of the Gospel of Mary
        (http://tinyurl.com/2w6jua), but I am unaccustomed to reading cursive
        Greek script of this type with ligatures. Does anyone know of a site
        from which this style of writing can be learned?

        > george
        > gfsomsel
      • George F Somsel
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 16, 2008
          I don't seem to be able to locate these through my regular sources.  Do you know where they can be obtained?

          george
          gfsomsel

          … search for truth, hear truth,
          defend the truth till death.

          - Jan Hus
          _________

          <gfsomsel@.. .> wrote:

          > Another subscriber on the b-greek list asked a question regarding
          the POxy 3525 manuscript of the Gospel of Mary
          (http://tinyurl. com/2w6jua), but I am unaccustomed to reading cursive
          Greek script of this type with ligatures. Does anyone know of a site
          from which this style of writing can be learned?

          > george
          > gfsomsel

        • yennifmit
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 17, 2008
            Hi George,

            You may well have trouble locating these. I got mine at the 1997
            Oxford Papyrology Summer School. Someone brought a box of them from
            London, I think.

            My only suggestion is to contact the publisher:

            http://icls.sas.ac.uk/

            You might have better luck finding the first edition of Turner's Greek
            Manuscripts of the Ancient World.

            I found this bibliography, which looks excellent:

            http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/papyrus/texts/bibliography.html

            <gfsomsel@...> wrote:

            > I don't seem to be able to locate these through my regular sources.
            Do you know where they can be obtained?

            > george
            > gfsomsel
            >
            > … search for truth, hear truth,
            > defend the truth till death.
            >
            > - Jan Hus
            > _________

          • Kent Clarke
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 21, 2008

              Hi All:

              Regarding Greek Palaeography, you can find both the 1893 and 1912 editions of Maunde Thompson’s classic work, “An Introduction to Greek & Latin Palaeography” at the following link.

              http://www.archive.org/details/greeklatin00thomuoft

              Enjoy!

              Warm Regards;

              Kent

              Kent D. Clarke (Ph.D. Bristol)

              Brooke Foss Westcott Professor of New Testament

              Textual Criticism, Greek Studies, and Hermeneutics

              Trinity Western University

              Seal Kap House

              7600 Glover Road

              Langley, British Columbia