Script help

  • George F Somsel
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 13, 2008
      Another subscriber on the b-greek list asked a question regarding the POxy 3525 manuscript of the Gospel of Mary (http://tinyurl.com/2w6jua), but I am unaccustomed to reading cursive Greek script of this type with ligatures.  Does anyone know of a site from which this style of writing can be learned?

      george
      gfsomsel

      defend the truth till death.

      - Jan Hus
      _________

    • A. Dirkzwager
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2008
        Dear George,

        The script is a variant of a type of script you see often, but .....
        ..... every manuscript has its own peculiarities. So a person who has
        seen more MSS should apply himself to this type of script.
        There are even persons who have seen so many MSS that they could read it
        without major problems.

        Arie

        A. Dirkzwager
        Hoeselt, Belgium

        George F Somsel schreef:
        > Another subscriber on the b-greek list asked a question regarding
        > the POxy 3525 manuscript of the Gospel of Mary
        > (http://tinyurl.com/2w6jua <http://tinyurl.com/2w6jua>), but I am
        > unaccustomed to reading cursive Greek script of this type with
        > ligatures. Does anyone know of a site from which this style of
        > writing can be learned?
        >
        > george
        > gfsomsel
        >
        > Therefore, O faithful Christian, search for truth, hear truth,
        > defend the truth till death.
        >
        > - Jan Hus
        > _________
      • A. Dirkzwager
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 15, 2008
          Addition:
          If you would like to learn to read manuscripts, there is a very
          practical book "Short Manuel of Greek Palaeography" by B.A. van
          Groningen. I possess the 1967 edition (Leyden, Sijthoff), but I remember
          vaguely that there is a new edition now, perhaps with another title.

          Arie

          A. Dirkzwager schreef:

          > Dear George,
          >
          > The script is a variant of a type of script you see often, but .....
          > ..... every manuscript has its own peculiarities. So a person who has
          > seen more MSS should apply himself to this type of script.
          > There are even persons who have seen so many MSS that they could read it
          > without major problems.
          >
          > Arie
          >
          > A. Dirkzwager
          > Hoeselt, Belgium

        • yennifmit
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 15, 2008
            Dear George,

            The following books might help you get started:

            Turner, E. G. 1987. Greek Manuscripts of the Ancient World. P.J.
            Parsons (ed). Institute of Classical Studies Bulletin Supplement 46.
            London: Institute of Classical Studies.

            Cavallo, G. and H. Maehler. 1987. Greek Bookhands of the Early
            Byzantine Period A.D. 300 - 800. Institute of Classical Studies
            Bulletin Supplement 47. London: Institute of Classical Studies.

            Both include plates and transcriptions of cursive writing.

            Best,

            Tim Finney

            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, George F Somsel
            <gfsomsel@...> wrote:

            > Another subscriber on the b-greek list asked a question regarding
            the POxy 3525 manuscript of the Gospel of Mary
            (http://tinyurl.com/2w6jua), but I am unaccustomed to reading cursive
            Greek script of this type with ligatures. Does anyone know of a site
            from which this style of writing can be learned?

            > george
            > gfsomsel
          • George F Somsel
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 16, 2008
              I don't seem to be able to locate these through my regular sources.  Do you know where they can be obtained?

              george
              gfsomsel

              … search for truth, hear truth,
              defend the truth till death.

              - Jan Hus
              _________

              <gfsomsel@.. .> wrote:

              > Another subscriber on the b-greek list asked a question regarding
              the POxy 3525 manuscript of the Gospel of Mary
              (http://tinyurl. com/2w6jua), but I am unaccustomed to reading cursive
              Greek script of this type with ligatures. Does anyone know of a site
              from which this style of writing can be learned?

              > george
              > gfsomsel

            • yennifmit
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 17, 2008
                Hi George,

                You may well have trouble locating these. I got mine at the 1997
                Oxford Papyrology Summer School. Someone brought a box of them from
                London, I think.

                My only suggestion is to contact the publisher:

                http://icls.sas.ac.uk/

                You might have better luck finding the first edition of Turner's Greek
                Manuscripts of the Ancient World.

                I found this bibliography, which looks excellent:

                http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/papyrus/texts/bibliography.html

                <gfsomsel@...> wrote:

                > I don't seem to be able to locate these through my regular sources.
                Do you know where they can be obtained?

                > george
                > gfsomsel
                >
                > … search for truth, hear truth,
                > defend the truth till death.
                >
                > - Jan Hus
                > _________

              • Kent Clarke
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 21, 2008

                  Hi All:

                  Regarding Greek Palaeography, you can find both the 1893 and 1912 editions of Maunde Thompson’s classic work, “An Introduction to Greek & Latin Palaeography” at the following link.

                  http://www.archive.org/details/greeklatin00thomuoft

                  Enjoy!

                  Warm Regards;

                  Kent

                  Kent D. Clarke (Ph.D. Bristol)

                  Brooke Foss Westcott Professor of New Testament

                  Textual Criticism, Greek Studies, and Hermeneutics

                  Trinity Western University

                  Seal Kap House

                  7600 Glover Road

                  Langley, British Columbia