Re: [textualcriticism] Acts 8:37 - early church writer references

  • Schmuel
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2007
      Hi John,

        Thanks, John.  I just realized tonight that Roger Pearse (Tertullian.org) had
      the Pacian material online, leading  to the English-language references which
      you sent in earlier today :-) .   (A bit of net-time-warp synchronocity.)

      John McChesney-Young -
      I picked an easy one: << Pacian  (c. 385) >>
      Discourse on Baptism 7 (in that translation's numbering):
      For so saith Philip, If thou believest . . . thou mayest. http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/pacian_5_baptism.htm
      *** Sermo de Baptismo 6, PL 13:1093b
       Sic enim ait Philippus: Si credis, potes.
      http://tinyurl.com/3bhz2a

      The John Henry Parker book, with the Charles Henry Collyns translation of Pacian,
      is also Google online at:

      http://books.google.com/books?id=hL93ESF90JQC&pg=PA382
      The Epistles of S. Cyprian with the Council of Carthage

      The Latin text and what you share below about other editions is helpful, too.

      There's a more modern translation of the work in the CUA Fathers of the Church series (v. 99; _Iberian Fathers_) and there are several editions more recent than the PL, the latest of which is in the SC (v. 410; E/crits [par] Pacien de Barcelone). I don't have either at hand but both should be in any major research library if you want to ensure there aren't any text critical problems.

      Right now I am researching some additional material.
      And it looks like there may be some more references missing from the apparatus,
      not discussed in the previous post.  Hilary and Arator very possibly.  Jerome may
      have more than realized, and some others.

      This is likely the Ambrosiaster reference.

      http://tinyurl.com/2xcezf
      The ecclesiastical polity of the New Testament - By Samuel Davidson (1854) p. 138

      "Philip did not seek for a time or a day in which he might baptize the eunuch.
       Nor did he interpose fasting"  - Ambrosiaster  (384) - Note XXVII

      ARATOR ON THE ACTS OF THE APOSTLES - HILLYER

      A great source has been:

      http://books.google.com/books?id=rpBXjVdOtlAC
      Arator on the Acts of the Apostles: A Baptismal Commentary - Richard Hillier (Oxford 1993)

      Searching for eunuch and baptism gets to around p. 95 with a rich, full section.
      Arator himself will likely be a solid 6th-century reference.

      CHRMOMATIUS

      First, from the above book, looks like some of the Chromatius of Aquileia quote is:

      "Thus this eunuch, since he is a dove, is chosen, but Simon the magician, since he is a raven, is rejected; for the former believed with his whole heart and whole faith, but the latter drew near,
      doubting in his mind and all full of faithlessness.  And therefore one was received and the other
      cast out; one was commended and the other condemned."

      Plus the additional quote comparing the eunuch and Cornelius
      (footnote p. 98 ref to Tract 9:2 with Latin given)

      HILARY

      And here is a Hilary reference, limited but positive, missing in the apparatus.

      http://tinyurl.com/2bebmy (p. 106)
      Now, Ethiopia precedes in its confession of faith through the Eunuch of Candace .... (continues)
      Hilary (Tract in Ps. 67.33)

      JEROME

      Some Jerome references are given (footnotes p. 95 and p.97 and p. 102) that may bear
      on Acts 8:37 and since Jerome had been given as a reference by Scrivener and Jessup,
      there should be good material.  Although he is missing in the Münster apparatus and modern
      textcrit discussions.

      The one Jerome reference I had was helpful, albeit a bit light:

      http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf206.v.CVIII.html#v.CVIII-p106.1
      Then immediately quickening her pace she began to move along the old road which leads to Gaza, that is to the ‘power’ or ‘wealth’ of God, silently meditating on that type of the Gentiles, the Ethiopian eunuch, who in spite of the prophet changed his skin and whilst he read the old testament found the fountain of the gospel. (Jerome - Epistle 108:11)

      Similar with Eusebius, whom Hillyer discusses on p. 99.  Also he discusses Tertullian,
      whose reference is on the web, in the pages I saw he didn't mention Augustine.

      The Richard Hillier references in the Arator book should lead to more. Arator, Jerome,
      and possibly Peter Chrysologus (p.98 - Sermo 60: De Symbolo 5.1 also p. 106)
      or Gregory of Nyssa (footnote p. 97 - De Bapt. PG 46:421) and Eusebius
      and Cyril of Jerusalem (p. 99) could be checked, plus there may be more on
      p. 100-101 and the later pages, I maxed my Google welcome and some pages
      are simply not viewable.

      CHRYSOSTOM

      Also Hillyer has Chrysostom references.  He is referenced negatively on Acts 8:37 in
      Münster apparatus, however the Schaff note points out that the implication is unclear.

      http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf111.vi.xix.html#vi.xix-p0.1
      John Chrysostom - Homily on Acts
      And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?” (v. 36.) Mark the eager desire, mark the exact knowledge. “And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.” (v. 38, 39.)

      With Hillyer the Chrysostom material I saw is on p. 96 p. 97 Homily in Acts 19.2 - 3 de bapt 18:2
      The homily on Acts is the material above, but the Baptism writing would be different, possibly
      listed as "Two Instructions to Candidates for Baptism" in the Schaaf edition.

      AMBROSIASTER

      Ambrosiaster  (384) - Note XXVII
        "Philip did not seek for a time or a day in which he might baptize the eunuch.
        Nor did he interpose fasting"
        The ecclesiastical polity of the New Testament - By Samuel Davidson (1854) p. 138

      SUMMARY

      Quotes have been found for :

      Irenaeus
      Tertullian
      Cyprian
      Augustine
      Eusebius (minor)
      Chrysostom
      Jerome (minor)
      Hilary
      Ambrosiaster  (384)
      Pacian      (c. 385)
      Chromatius    (c. 390)

      The original search list also had (two notes added) :

      Ambrose (397)
      Praedestinatus (5th c)
      Bede (735) - may be a reference to his scripture text.
      Oecumenius (990)
      Theophylact (1077) - twice quoted (Scrivener), Latin section given by George Somsel

      And now there are some new ones to research per Hillyer above.
      These two are very likely to have solid material.

      Arator  -  ironically I did not find his exact quotes in my search of the Hillyer book
      Jerome - Scrivner and Jessup give him a definite yes

      Research using Arator-Hillyer references:

      Gregroy of Nyssa
      Chrysologus
      Eusebius
      Cyril of Jerusalem,

    • Juan Stam
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 31, 2007

        Greetings from Costa Rica!

        I was excited to get this link to earlychristian wriitings, but I had trouble getting to the patristic text I wanted to find, after getting to the desired author.

        Can anyone help me on this procedure?

        Wishing everyone a great 2008,

        Juan Stam

        Universidad Nacional de Costa Rica

          > was excited to get this link to earlychristian wriitings, but I had trouble getting
          >  to the patristic text I wanted to find, after getting to the desired author.
          > Can anyone help me on this procedure?

          Greetings to Costa Rica.  Keep in mind that the ecatena is just a start, often incomplete,
          but an excellent start.  Unfortunately there is no consistent mechanism at the moment
          for working with Peter Kirby (the web fella) to expand the entries.

          When you hit a link that does not work (happens on some, because CCEL or others change
          their URL's,  take the text you see on the ecatena page and put it in Google with "quotes".
          You should find the original text in a few places.

          K.Martin Heide -
          for one of the best treatments of this verse, see Kurt Aland: "Der neutestamentliche Text in der vorkonstantinischen Epoche" in Pomero-Pose, Eugenio (ed.): Pléroma - Salus carnis, Santiago 1990, pp. 53-79, and see also, with some pro-"Western" bias, Rius and Read-Heimerdinger ("The Variant Readings of the Western Text of Acts of the Apostles XIII, (Acts 8:1b-40)" in Filología Neotestamentaria 15 (2002), pp. 111-132. and cf. also "The Message of Acts in Codex Bezae", Vol. II.

            Thank you Martin.

             "The Message of Acts in Codex Bezae" has its Acts 8:37 sections online.
          http://tinyurl.com/2wueye

              The list of early church writers for evidentiary purposes is fuller than most,
          Include -  Ir Tert Cyp Ambrst Pac Ambr Aug Theoph PsOec ChrAq
          Omit    -  Chr Theoph

              I do find cases where a person is on both sides of an include/omit question (Theophylactus
          here) needs to be subject to closer examination.  Clearly the inclusion must have far more
          weight than the omission (in a sense presence overrules absence as light overrules darkness).
          Unless the omission is a straight verse-by-verse homily or done in such a way that the lack
          of the verse is very strongly indicated.  This situation of dual-sided references arises frequently.

              Note that Hilary and Eusebius and Jerome, Arator, Praedestinatus and Bede
          are not mentioned at all.  And there are others possible, as I discussed previously,
          subject to more research.  (Granted Eusebius has only a mild indication.)

          .  The only church writer sections discussed in any depth are the two Iraeneus sections.
          As is often the case in modern textcrit apparatus not even the location of most of the
          writings are given, much less yet the actual quotes.  Personally, I believe this is a great lack.

             They do discuss the doctrinal aspects some (put "Acts 8:37 or eunuch into the search
          to find the pages) and although I believe what they write is sensible, on such issues YMMV
          (your mileage may vary). Often both sides can be argued, depending on ones view of lectio
          difficilior and ones view of early church doctrines and other issues.

             I have been mostly bypassing the many MSS issues and doctrinal and church history
          and internal issues on this thread, simply to really nail down the church writer quotations,
          which are generally unavailable as a unit.  A great lack.

              The only text discussion that fits this bill is the discussion of Iraeneus, where
          he mentions text from a Greek fragment of the Catema of Irenaeus IV.23.2.

          This may differ some from the Roberts-Donaldson translation version on the Net.
          http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/irenaeus-book4.html
          http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.ix.vi.xxiv.html
          Ireaneaus 4.23.2 - Chapter XXIII.

              Thank you for the resources.  I do wonder if the other two sources will offer any
          new information directly bearing on the church writer references.  Analysis as in
          "The Message of Acts.." is helpful, too, so I do not want to unnecessarily limit
          the other sources, but do they offer more direct information on the 15-20 other
          early church writer sources that discuss, either by quotation or indirectly,
          the account of Acts 8 ?  The MSS and doctrine and internal and textcrit theory
          issues I mostly want to wait for another day.

          Shalom,
          Steven
        • clontzjm
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
            Hello Juan,

            These three references are from schaff's notes:

            Cyprian[Treatise XII.Book III.43]
            Irenaeus[Against Heresies Book III.12.8]
            Pontius the Deacon[The Life and Passion of Cyprian 2]

            Peace,

            Jerry