Re: [textualcriticism] 1 Thessalonians 2 16

  • John McChesney-Young
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2007
      At 6:47 PM +0000 12/5/07, andrewcriddle wrote:
      >According to NA one Vulgate manuscript lacks the end of this verse
      >"But wrath has come upon them to the utmost."
      >
      >Does anyone know which Vulgate manuscript this is ?

      I apologize for the delay in response, but between obligations and a
      delay in getting books I thought might prove useful in answering the
      query it's taken longer than I'd hoped.

      The Beuron Vetus Latina volume of I Thess. records that phrase as
      absent from the original text [[1]] of Vatican MS. lat. 5729, the
      "_Fa+lschlich sogenannte Farfa-Bible_" (p.78). The editor records it
      as written in the early 11th century at Santa Maria de Ripoll in the
      diocese of Vich, Spain. I discovered that the MS has been the object
      of particular interest for its illuminations. See e.g.:

      http://www.omifacsimiles.com/cats/spanish.html (description of a facsimile)

      Its text has received some attention though, too; see:

      http://tinyurl.com/3xjovx (_The Text of the Old Testament in
      Anglo-Saxon England_ by Richard Marsden, p. 362, at Google Books; see
      footnote 134)

      Google searches of various combinations of Ripoll, Farfa, Vatican,
      and the MS number will provide more information.

      John

      [[1]] A caveat: The siglum for the reading in question is
      [kappa](superscript)V(superscript)*, and although I couldn't find
      confirmation anywhere that the asterisk holds the meaning of a
      pre-correction original reading in this edition - oddly, it's not
      included in the table of _Zeichen_ - I think that's its significance
      but am certainly open to correction myself. Kappa is used for the
      Catalan Vulgate recension.
      --

      *** John McChesney-Young ** panis~at~pacbell.net ** Berkeley,
      California, U.S.A. ***