1 Thessalonians 2 16

  • andrewcriddle
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2007
      According to NA one Vulgate manuscript lacks the end of this verse
      "But wrath has come upon them to the utmost."

      Does anyone know which Vulgate manuscript this is ?

      Thanks

      Andrew Criddle
    • John McChesney-Young
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 16, 2007
        At 6:47 PM +0000 12/5/07, andrewcriddle wrote:
        >According to NA one Vulgate manuscript lacks the end of this verse
        >"But wrath has come upon them to the utmost."
        >
        >Does anyone know which Vulgate manuscript this is ?

        I apologize for the delay in response, but between obligations and a
        delay in getting books I thought might prove useful in answering the
        query it's taken longer than I'd hoped.

        The Beuron Vetus Latina volume of I Thess. records that phrase as
        absent from the original text [[1]] of Vatican MS. lat. 5729, the
        "_Fa+lschlich sogenannte Farfa-Bible_" (p.78). The editor records it
        as written in the early 11th century at Santa Maria de Ripoll in the
        diocese of Vich, Spain. I discovered that the MS has been the object
        of particular interest for its illuminations. See e.g.:

        http://www.omifacsimiles.com/cats/spanish.html (description of a facsimile)

        Its text has received some attention though, too; see:

        http://tinyurl.com/3xjovx (_The Text of the Old Testament in
        Anglo-Saxon England_ by Richard Marsden, p. 362, at Google Books; see
        footnote 134)

        Google searches of various combinations of Ripoll, Farfa, Vatican,
        and the MS number will provide more information.

        John

        [[1]] A caveat: The siglum for the reading in question is
        [kappa](superscript)V(superscript)*, and although I couldn't find
        confirmation anywhere that the asterisk holds the meaning of a
        pre-correction original reading in this edition - oddly, it's not
        included in the table of _Zeichen_ - I think that's its significance
        but am certainly open to correction myself. Kappa is used for the
        Catalan Vulgate recension.
        --

        *** John McChesney-Young ** panis~at~pacbell.net ** Berkeley,
        California, U.S.A. ***