Re: Venerable Bede's "Commentary on Luke 1:1"

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2007
      Dear Freethin Kaluva:
      Literally:
      And last, there are found to have prefaced their own writings with
      a false title: not a few, of Thomas; others, of Bartholomew; certain
      ones, of Matthias; some, even of the twelve apostles; but also to
      have left gospels infected with the error of their own name,
      Basilides and Apelles, of whom the one taught a doctrine of three
      hundred sixty-five heavens, and the other of two gods opposed to each
      other, among other nefarious things.
      --Alcuin is drawing on Jerome's praefatio in Commentarium in
      Matthaeum, but varies the list of false gospels (omitting Of the
      Egyptians but adding of Matthias) and providing the errors of
      Basilides and Apelles.
      --Peter F.X.
      I hope this works: I'm sending by clicking Web Post for the first
      time. . . .

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "freethinkaluva"
      <freethinkaluva@...> wrote:

      > Venerable Bede's "Commentary on Luke 1:1"
      >
      > The original Latin of theologian Venerable Bede's In Evangelium
      Lucae
      > Expositio:
      >
      > Denique nonnulli Thomae, alii Bartholomaei, quidam Matthiae, aliqui
      > etiam duodecim apostolorum titulo reperiuntur falso sua scripta
      > praenotasse: sed et Basilides atque Apelles, quorum unus trecenos
      > sexaginta quinque coelos, alter duos invicem contrarios deos inter
      > alia nefanda dogmatizabant, evangelia sui nominis errore foeda
      reliquisse.

      > I was unable to find a translation of this passage from The Complete
      > Works of the Venerable Bede, ed. by Rev. J.A. Giles, London, 1844,
      p.
      > 263. Anybody here want to give it a shot?
      >
      > for more context, if needed -
      > http://books.google.com/books?id=M-
      IHAAAAQAAJ&pg=PR3&dq=venerable+bede+giles+%22vol.+X%22#PPA273,M1