Venerable Bede's "Commentary on Luke 1:1"

  • freethinkaluva
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2007
      Venerable Bede's "Commentary on Luke 1:1"

      The original Latin of theologian Venerable Bede's In Evangelium Lucae
      Expositio:

      Denique nonnulli Thomae, alii Bartholomaei, quidam Matthiae, aliqui
      etiam duodecim apostolorum titulo reperiuntur falso sua scripta
      praenotasse: sed et Basilides atque Apelles, quorum unus trecenos
      sexaginta quinque coelos, alter duos invicem contrarios deos inter
      alia nefanda dogmatizabant, evangelia sui nominis errore foeda reliquisse.

      I was unable to find a translation of this passage from The Complete
      Works of the Venerable Bede, ed. by Rev. J.A. Giles, London, 1844, p.
      263. Anybody here want to give it a shot?

      for more context, if needed -
      http://books.google.com/books?id=M-IHAAAAQAAJ&pg=PR3&dq=venerable+bede+giles+%22vol.+X%22#PPA273,M1

      ;
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 23, 2007
        Dear Freethin Kaluva:
        Literally:
        And last, there are found to have prefaced their own writings with
        a false title: not a few, of Thomas; others, of Bartholomew; certain
        ones, of Matthias; some, even of the twelve apostles; but also to
        have left gospels infected with the error of their own name,
        Basilides and Apelles, of whom the one taught a doctrine of three
        hundred sixty-five heavens, and the other of two gods opposed to each
        other, among other nefarious things.
        --Alcuin is drawing on Jerome's praefatio in Commentarium in
        Matthaeum, but varies the list of false gospels (omitting Of the
        Egyptians but adding of Matthias) and providing the errors of
        Basilides and Apelles.
        --Peter F.X.
        I hope this works: I'm sending by clicking Web Post for the first
        time. . . .

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "freethinkaluva"